Author Topic: 1851 Census- jane Budden Bryanston street Blandford Born c 1811  (Read 600 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1851 Census- jane Budden Bryanston street Blandford Born c 1811
« on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please have a look at this Census entry for me - it shows Jane's place of birth as West Indies but can anyone confirm what B S stands for or means after West Indies.

I am thinking that maybe it is an abbreviation for British subject but i would appreciate comments or confirmation please.

Thank you so much

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census- jane Budden Bryanston street Blandford Born c 1811
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are correct it is British Subject, usually found after an entry for someone born abroad.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census- jane Budden Bryanston street Blandford Born c 1811
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. This one is driving me crazy!
I have the marriage cert of Jane Dobbin to Thomas Budden at St Anns Fort Barbados on April 28th 1831. Thomas was a Lance Corporal with 35th Regiment of Foot, born in Pimperne. Both bride and groom just made their mark. on 27th December 1831 Thomas and Jane Budden had a daughter Jane - baptised on 22nd Jan 1832 at St Anns Fort Barbados. By April 1832 Thomas had discharged himself finally from the Regiment of Foot and arrived back in Dorset- and I have a copy of the Settlement application that he made on his return to Pimperne- signed by James Farquharson.
I have followed Thomas's wife Jane Budden nee dobbin theough the UK censuses in Blandford where she states her place of birth as follows:
1841- Ireland (random!!!); 1851 West Indies British subject; 1861 west Indies Isle DOMENECK (sic), 1871 West India.

Now- I am trying to establish the birth of Jane Dobbin- in the time slot of around 1811 +/- 5 years. Was she really a British Subject? Was she possibly the daughter of a British employee (non military) at St Anns Fort? Was she possibly of mixed birth bearing in mind there are a lot of folks on slave registers with the surname Dobbin. How on earth do I go about finding out more about her origin? Any ideas please!!!

The Ireland place of birth given for both Jane (born c 1811) and her daughter Jane born 1831 before Thomas and Jane returned to England after the army discharge- is also a curved ball because there is a Jane dobbin mentioned in the slave register for Jamaica- under the ownership of a Clotworthy Dobbin who seemed to be a landowner - in Ireland.

It comes down to how much is believable on the Censuses and how much is made up to cover an awkward situation!
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
The mention of her being a British subject on the 1851 census is curious too. True or false?
Will we ever know?
I feel as though I am so close and yet so far! Both Jane and their daughter Jane are both mentioned in Thomas's application for Settlement back to Dorset but no details are given for wither of them.

Ideas please!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)