Author Topic: Brickwall  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 November 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »

Are you referring to 'transcriptions" saying they were married in both 1783 and 1784 and where have you seen these ?
The images for the BTs are available on Family Search (you need to sign in with a free account). They are not searchable but you can browse through the images. They can be confusing as, given the physical size of the original document, they have often been filmed as partial pages. So one area of a page can be on more than one image. If that makes sense.

Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1309819
Navigate from there to the images for St John Newcastle for the time period you are interested in. For the period 1748-1804 there are 385 images in the dataset.
This is the page that has the heading to say these were events which took place between  25th March 1783 and 25th March 1784.  (its image 107 of 385)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SSF-TK?i=106&wc=9K53-6TL%3A13617901%2C28552501%2C28552502&cc=1309819

Nov 1783 is included on that page and William and Ann are recorded as being married on 8th November 1783. From that page the transcriber has, correctly,  entered it as taking place in 1783.

There is another image (image 109 of 385)) that also shows a marriage on Nov 8th for these people
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SSN-7V?i=108&wc=9K53-6TL%3A13617901%2C28552501%2C28552502&cc=1309819
 BUT if you compare that to the first image (the one that shows the date) you'll see that its a partial image of the same page - but has no year showing as its only a partial image of the document.

I'd say there's a good chance that whoever has transcribed these has not realised that the second one is a duplication and has assumed its the following year and has transcribed it as different marriage dated 1784

To see the original Parish Registers, Tyne and Wear Archives will have them on microfilm, Woodhorn hold the originals (and will have both microfilm and digital images) or, if you can visit an LDS Family History Centre, you should be able to see the digital images on their computers.

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 November 19 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Those are the same images as showing on FindMyPast, they have transcribed it wrongly.  It is this image that they have as 1784 when it should be 1783. 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SSF-TK?i=106&wc=9K53-6TL%3A13617901%2C28552501%2C28552502&cc=1309819

As I mentioned earlier the header indicates it only covers the period
The marriage that has been transcribed as 1784 appears on the page headed 'from March 25th 1783 to March 25th 1784.  It is always best to view the original pages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 November 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see that FindMyPast have this marriage transcribed twice with different years and when you click to see the images the address bar shows its bringing the image down from family search.

EDIT just realised (sorry Rosie I hadn't clicked through to the image) and you are correct - the one they got wrong is the one which HAS the date range at the top of the page! <sigh> I've sent in a correction report.

I just thought it may be helpful to explain how these sort of errors can occur, especially when its a commercial company who employ transcribers based on typing speed rather than an understanding of what they are transcribing (a mix of both would be ideal but not cheap I suppose).

As ever, transcribed databases are a really helpful and we'd probably never get anywhere without them,  but they should be regarded as only a pointer to the original and wherever possible its advisable to check the original document to be more sure.

Boo

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 November 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
William Jnr was buried 2 Aug 1807 age 19
Abode Westgate St
Parents William/Ann
Father a Slater, Mother nee Jameson.

Did William/Ann move out of the area?
I cant seem to find conclusive burials for them St John.

Margarets 18 Jul 1784 Bapt has no Fathers Occp
Williams  22 Mar 1789 has Father as a Slater
Elzabeth    12 Jun 1791 as a Smith
John 26 Jun 1796 as a Whitesmith

Very different Occps for Father John ???
I am only looking at transcriptions on FreeREG

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 November 19 11:53 GMT (UK) »
William Jnr was buried 2 Aug 1807 age 19
Abode Westgate St
Parents William/Ann
Father a Slater, Mother nee Jameson.

Did William/Ann move out of the area?
I cant seem to find conclusive burials for them St John.

Margarets 18 Jul 1784 Bapt has no Fathers Occp
Williams  22 Mar 1789 has Father as a Slater
Elzabeth    12 Jun 1791 as a Smith
John 26 Jun 1796 as a Whitesmith

Very different Occps for Father John ???
I am only looking at transcriptions on FreeREG

I've done all this on the other thread ;D
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820919.0

I still have doubts that William and Ann are the parents of the John Walton who married Jane Robinson in 1816. Witnessed by Joseph Walton and Hannah Walton. First son Joseph born 1818 at the Lying In Hospital. Father John a Shoe maker. Abode Barracks.

Meanwhile, Joseph Walton the Newcastle barracks sergeant may have married Mary Clazey, 25 May 1795 at St Nicholas Plumstead. He signed, she marked.
Likely baptism of daughter Hannah at an Independent Chapel in Colchester, 23 Nov 1797. Father a Corporal in Horse Artillery.

I think Hannah may have married James Stewart in Newcastle St Andrew in 1821 as Ann Walton. And in the census is born Colchester?

Baptism of William Walton in Newcastle (High Bridge Meeting) in 1810. Born at the Barracks. Says father Joseph is a native of Cheshire. Gives Mary's name as Glazy or Glary? She is a native of Berwick upon Tweed.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 November 19 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see that FindMyPast have this marriage transcribed twice with different years and when you click to see the images the address bar shows its bringing the image down from family search.

EDIT just realised (sorry Rosie I hadn't clicked through to the image) and you are correct - the one they got wrong is the one which HAS the date range at the top of the page! <sigh> I've sent in a correction report.

:):)

Hopefully they will amend the transcript, I also reported it yesterday  ;D .  They are normally very good at changing the details.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 November 19 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that jonw65 :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 November 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Trish, we found the burials of William the slater and wife Ann in the 1830's. Abode for both Stowell Street. So I can't help wondering if John Walton the butcher at 31 Stowell Street in 1851 with unmarried sister Elizabeth might be their son. This John also had a wife Elizabeth, and a daughter, who were living elsewhere. But which Elizabeth was with him at Stowell Street in 1841?

I agree that the occupation difference on those baptisms - slater or (white)smith is very puzzling.
It's a knotty problem! I would also want to get hold of the parish register for the marriage of John to Jane Robinson to get a sight of all the signatures.
John

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 November 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all firstly many thanks for your efforts but I'm now more confused than ever I'll try to clarify things a little bit my great great grandfather who was born in 1840 was named william rendal walton, on his birth certificate is john walton  father occ shoemaker ,mother Jane walton formerly Robinson. on 1841 census the family is living in jesmond vale, the first son Joseph it says was born in 1821 but I couldn't find him so assumed the 1818 Joseph was the right son .on the 1851 census John walton has died in 1850 Joseph is still with mum ,1861 census Joseph walton is a shoemaker and living with a Mary so I checked marriages between 1851 and 1861 only one that came up was Mary Barker from cumberland but funny when I went for cert of these two Joseph named his father as Joseph  so I didn't get it
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart