Author Topic: Cook/Cooke and associated lineage Great Sturton, Lincolnshire  (Read 489 times)

Offline jennsunshine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cook/Cooke and associated lineage Great Sturton, Lincolnshire
« on: Friday 08 November 19 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Cook/Cooke lineage further back in England, prior to 1700. It appears that this family line (my mother's maternal line via *her* maternal grandfather) goes back to Great Sturton in Lincolnshire.

It looks like the Cook/Cooke family had deep roots in this area.

My late mother did traditional genealogical research (she was an art historian), and I have many records and notes that she kept. I believe that she also had a contact in Great Sturton. This was almost 30 years ago. I also know that much has changed in the field since then, especially with more documentation being digitized, etc...

More specifically, I would love to find out more about the Cook/Cooke connection to Lincolnshire, and Great Sturton. I don't have any information prior to my earliest ancestor, Richard Cooke, so it would also be interesting to learn where this family originated and how they made a living in Great Sturton. At some point down the line, obviously one of the long line decided to emigrate to North America in the 19th Century.

Also, is there anything of interest I should know about the offshoot lines (marriages to Cooks/Cookes) that are worth researching further? The Ranyards, Holdings, Ablewhites, etc?

I am starting to dive in to some websites for research that are more specific to the U.K. - including this one.

Here is the family lineage for some context, starting with the closest generation:

Virginia Cook (1909 - 1958) born and died Lakewood, Ohio, USA (grandmother)

Byron Moon Cook - born 7/22/1872 Widder Station, Ontario, CAN; died 9/17/19 Lakewood, Ohio. Married to Minnie Mae Goodes

William M. Cook - born 10/1/1835 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG; died 11/22/1900 Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA. Married to Elizabeth Sarah Moon

Charles Cook - born 2/8/1793 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG; died 1883, Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG. Married to Ann Ranyard

Thomas Cook - born before March 9, 1750 Mareham le Fen? Lincolnshire, ENG; died 1/19/1837 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG . Married to Mary Holding

Robert Cook - born 3/14/1725 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG; died 8/30/1775 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG. Married to Martha Ablewhite.

Thomas Cooke - born before 12/17/1693 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire ENG; died before 1/26/1763 Great Sturton, Lincolnshire, ENG. Married to Sarah Lamin?

Richard Cooke - speculative Great Sturton? Married to Margery Wilson - speculative

Many thanks!