Author Topic: Richard Varey married Ellen Miller 1845 Ashton/Oldham  (Read 2493 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Varey married Ellen Miller 1845 Ashton/Oldham
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 November 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie, for the suggestion to purchase death records, for both Richard & William the putative father. Shame they're unlikely to give much detail about wife/wives. Of course I'd have to be more precise about dates/ages or I might well purchase quite the wrong records. It's good to know there are folk reading my somewhat vague & imprecise postings. Must do better.

I actually suggested you purchase the marriage certificate

LancashireBMD has the marriage as taking place at St Mary's Oldham.  Ancestry has the images for this parish up to the first week of October 1845, banns are called for that marriage after that date.

Maybe your only supporting evidence for his father would be to purchase the marriage certificate of Richard

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 November 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be several inter marriages between the Varey and Miller families.

Lancs opc shows births in Lancaster to Richard and Jane 1811-1820 - possibly including Joseph
There is Nancy to Richard and Grace
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 November 19 21:32 GMT (UK) »
The nephew David bc.1857/8 Liverpool had mmn Derbyshire BUT not, as referred to here, a son of John and Sarah.

David Varey was baptised 8/3/1857 Liverpool, son of James (Earthenware Dealer) and wife Mary Ann.

James Varey (potter), son of William Varey, potter married Mary Ann Derbyshire 1843 Liverpool.   A witness was your Richard Varey.  In 1861 (as Verey) James is shown bc.1821 Preston, Lancs.   He was actually born 4/6/1821, and baptised 18/11/1821 at St. Marys, Lancaster, son of William and Grace (abode Skerton).   They also had a son William baptised 5/9/1819 Garstang, Lancs. 

Found William and Grace in 1851 at Hunslet, Yorkshire as 'Varley' - he is an Earthenware Dealer bc.1791 Wensleydale, Yorkshire and Grace bc.1791 Kirkham, Lancashire.  With them then are 2 children, Joseph bc.1835 Kendal, Westmoreland and Elizabeth bc.1837 Lancashire (can't read birthplace).

I cannot find William, Grace and family in 1841, nor can I find a marriage between the 2.

This family clearly continually on the move but with Richard witnessing his brother James' wedding in 1843, (confirming father as William Varey, Potter),  his nephew David (son of said James) with his widow Ellen in 1861, ties this altogether.

Only baptisms I can trace to William and Grace are:

Nancy bp.5/4/1818 St. Mary's, Lancaster
William bp.5/9/1819 Garstang, Lancs.
James bp.18/11/1821 St. Mary's Lancaster
then a jump to
Margaret bp.19/4/1832 Kendal, Westmoreland
plus we know from census that there was a Joseph bc.1835 Kendal and a daughter Elizabeth bc.1837.

There were no doubt children born 1822-1831, including Richard bc.1823, but can't for the life of me trace any baptisms in this period.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to all for the constructive responses. No doubt this area of research will keep me entangled for the foreseeable future.