Author Topic: 'LUIE' or 'Craig' Middle names......Any Clues?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'LUIE' or 'Craig' Middle names......Any Clues?
« on: Sunday 10 November 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at some family middle names as clues to find the birth family of my Grandad, David Campbell Ferguson.  One of his daughters, Christina, was given 'Luie' as her middle name as on her birth record from CRAIGNISH in 1922.  His other daughter, had the middle name 'Craig'.  I assume these were significant family names although there are no connections within the family that I know of......Luie is particularly interesting as I feel that it must have been pretty unusual in the area at the time. 
Any clues, however tenuous, will be very welcome!!
Thanks,
Jan

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 'LUIE' or 'Craig' Middle names......Any Clues?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?

The marriage of David Campbell Ferguson and Mary Ann McInnes was registered in Kilmore and Kilbride in 1923. Is this your grandfather? Have you seen the marriage certificate? It should tell you their ages and the names of their parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

There are two deaths of David Campbell Fergusons, one in Kilchoman in 1962, aged 74, and one in Perth in 1943, aged 81. Neither is matched by a birth in the index, so they must both have acquired a middle name that is not on their birth certificate.

There's a birth of a Christina Luie MacInnes in Craignish in 1923. That looks too close to be just a coincidence. Could this be a niece of Mary Ann McInnes or Ferguson? In which case you are probably looking for the Luie connection in the MacInnes line, not the Ferguson one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.