Author Topic: Why database searches go wrong  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Why database searches go wrong
« on: Monday 11 November 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
This article is a bit technical in places, but it helps you understand how search errors happen.  They might not be yours.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

"Part of a continuing series including falsehoods about dates, times, places, street addresses, gender, relations, phone numbers, taxes, and amounts of money. "

Martin

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Why database searches go wrong
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hyphenated names are the ones I find searches have problems with.

A program is only as good as the person/people who wrote it. Many are not tested to the hilt before being let loose on the general public. As a user, if you have no technical background it can be frustrating trying to find the right search terms. Terms entered are weighted, hence you might have to go to page 2 or 3 before finding the person you are looking for.

Ancestry place names frustrate the life out of me when you enter something like London and you get London in every other country first before the Uk. They have clearly not been weighted correctly.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
And then we have different levels of fuzziness when you choose that sort of option!

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Why database searches go wrong: let me count the ways...... ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
It's not always the program's fault though.

Some years ago a friend (IT contractor) was involved in setting up a patient database for an NHS trust.  Data entry was done elsewhere because of patient confidentiality.

The NHS client had a major issue.  Staff were struggling to find the right records because so many female patients had the same name; it was Begum.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
It's not always the program's fault though.

Some years ago a friend (IT contractor) was involved in setting up a patient database for an NHS trust.  Data entry was done elsewhere because of patient confidentiality.

The NHS client had a major issue.  Staff were struggling to find the right records because so many female patients had the same name; it was Begum.

Carol

It is the proprammers fault if they don’t allow a combination search. Ie name + dob or name + post code etc

Although adequate operator training would help
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry place names frustrate the life out of me when you enter something like London and you get London in every other country first before the Uk. They have clearly not been weighted correctly.

Ancestry is a US company - so obviously weighted in favour of US place names ;D

Also, try entering "London, England" or "London, UK".

Any database search may suffer if insufficient information is entered ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Any database search may suffer if insufficient information is entered ;)

I agree but this is one of those occasions where the opposite is also true - too much information confuses the poor beasts  ;)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
It will only be the programmer's fault if the program has not been written to match the specification.
More likely it is either a matter of inadequate analysis of requirements (which means the specification will be incomplete) and/or inadequate testing to ensure that the results meet the specification.
Both of those are inevitably the fault of a CEO/Board of Directors more interested in cost savings than ensuring that the product works properly.