Author Topic: Help with the ancestry of a William Toplis, gilder, born about 1816?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the ancestry of a William Toplis, gilder, born about 1816?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - ALL!
Suzard: thank you very much for that marriage, and also for the 1841 reason why I couldn't find Eliza with William then, when I felt sure - Thomas John - that they were married by then.
Jamjar: I'll get myself into family search - for some reason, either it doesn't like me (or my pc?) I always seem to have problems there - and have a nosey around. It looks very promising, even though I know there were a lot of other Toplis(s)s in the area.
Trish1120: Super "find" of that baptism, so many things about it sound right - and I'd certainly never ever have discovered them transcribed as "Sophs" !! Sheer genius hunting that down, and the family occupations fit well. I'm also mamazed at you hunting down from the age of the first-born a Robert T & Mary Walthall marriage.
Thank you again, I'm off on the trail once more! You are all so helpful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 12:38 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Good luck
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
... I'll probably still need it, especially on William's side! A surplus of Toplis(s)s! Thanks, again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 November 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Now puzzling to find a first marriage for Eliza, daughter of Robert-the-compositor / printer Toplis, prior to her marriage to George S White in 1861.
The surname of her first husband would appear to have been Goodman, and it would have had to take place between the 1841 census, and 1851, for in the 1851 and 1861 censuses she is with Dad and youngest brother ( who appears not to have been the brightest member of the family) under her married name "Goodman" as a widow. She later appears in 1871 with her second husband, still pursuing her job as a dressmaker.
Her second husband seems to be younger than her, and a Londoner. But can anyone track down the mysterious Mr Goodman, who seems to have been her first husband, please?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 November 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Possible:

December quarter 1847 - Derby Registration District - page 550 - Eliza Toplis and William Goodman appear on this page.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 November 19 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, BumbleB ... William Goodman, hey? That fits in well. Now: why couldn't I find that? (Specsavers?)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 November 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Transcription on FindMyPast by Derbyshire FHS, says that the 1847 marriage took place at Brook Street Baptist Meeting House.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 November 19 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Now: that's interesting! Could well be why they're rather hard to follow. Thanks again, BumbleB.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 November 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census Robert T is born c 1784 Derby, Derbyshire.

I cant find a Bapt for him but FreeREG has as 02 Aug 1779 Marriage, All Saints, Derby, Derbyshire;
Robert TOPLIS, Servant, Parish St Werburgh
Eliza MILWARD
By Licence

Worth noting as possible Parents for Robert 1784
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)