Author Topic: Finding John Anderson - Edinburgh to Belfast via Carrickfergus  (Read 1646 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding John Anderson - Edinburgh to Belfast via Carrickfergus
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 June 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 June 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
THank you both for all your efforts today

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 June 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
The book arrived but unfortunately no more specific than you describe on the Lockharts. Numerous Anderson references and related families. I need to read it properly but it suggested as an exception there were marriages as young as 13. IF john was born 1831 or realier and married in 1844 that just about fits.

Reading the wills of William, James and John Lockhart - this generation could be Ellen's siblings or cousins but not father. both james and John's wives were Elizabeth but not Ellen's mother

Mention is made of burials in the church yard (page 93) with Anderson and Lockhart and a host of other interesting names: Hamilton, Kennedy, Irwin and Weatherup. Do you know if there is more information on these burials?

Lots of deserters of military, many Anderson's but unfortunately no detail on what regiments although I suspect it was common practice to sell uniforms to give money to their families

Thank you

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 June 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
The book arrived but unfortunately no more specific than you describe on the Lockharts. Numerous Anderson references and related families. I need to read it properly but it suggested as an exception there were marriages as young as 13. IF john was born 1831 or realier and married in 1844 that just about fits.
See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/minimum-age-for-marriage-in-scotland

If he married in 1844 he has to have been born before 1831.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 June 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you. 1831 is indicated on John's death certificate and i am regarding it as approximate. He could have married in 1844 or more likely 1845 in Ireland, first child born in 1845 but either way not born 1831, more likely 1826 or 27

Thank you

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 June 20 12:54 BST (UK) »

Reading the wills of William, James and John Lockhart - this generation could be Ellen's siblings or cousins but not father. both james and John's wives were Elizabeth but not Ellen's mother

Mention is made of burials in the church yard (page 93) with Anderson and Lockhart and a host of other interesting names: Hamilton, Kennedy, Irwin and Weatherup. Do you know if there is more information on these burials?

Lots of deserters of military, many Anderson's but unfortunately no detail on what regiments although I suspect it was common practice to sell uniforms to give money to their families

Thank you

Ref burials . The Ulster historical Foundation has published (1916) a book entitled

"Old families of Carrickfergus and Ballynure, Gravestone Inscriptions, Wills and Biographical notes"

I don't have a copy , but it may be of interest (or do a lookup request)

Matt

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 June 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant 2016 ::)

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile