Author Topic: Finding John Anderson - Edinburgh to Belfast via Carrickfergus  (Read 1653 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding John Anderson - Edinburgh to Belfast via Carrickfergus
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 20 16:56 BST (UK) »

... From the 1851 census James Lockhart, is the father of Ellen, married to Eliza, living in the parish of Carrickfergus, townland of Middle Division. James died 1879 and his will mentions Ellen as his daughter - https://apps.proni.gov.uk/willscalendar_ie/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=176485

I'm not sure that I understand you... why would the will of James Lockhart, who died in 1879, referring to his daughters '... Martha and Ellen if still unmarried', read across to the Ellen who had children with John Anderson for several decades before? That doesn't make sense to me, normally the will would give a married name for clarity.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
There a family tree on Ancestry that looks like it might be yours- says Ellen parents are James Lockhart Senior (son of Samuel) and Elizabeth, etc.
I agree with gaffy that the James Lockhart who wrote his Will & died in 1879 was the father of an unmarried daughter named Jane.
That James Lockhart was aged 58 when he died according to death registration so born c1821-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06501/4871887.pdf
This might be the marriage of his daughter Ellen in 1885 but it's really immaterial since this can't be the father of Ellen (Lockhart) Anderson-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10881/5974166.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 June 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
Gents, Thank you, I now understand my failed logic and I agree that the marriage of Ellen in 1885 is more applicable to the will of a James L (1821-1879)

I think I need that book to ASAP

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 June 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think you may be getting your hopes up if you think the O.S. Memoir is going to provide much detail about your family. There may, or may not, be Lockharts mentioned but it might be difficult to prove a connection to your Ellen's family.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 June 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't get too excited about the O S Memoirs clearing things up....
Have been examining newspaper archives and I suspect that the Robert Lockhart will be associated with Kilroot rather than Duncrue/Duncrew. The Lockharts in Kilroot were Presbyterian (at least one was an elder)
As you already know the Tithe book of 1816 for Carrickfergus parish has , under Duncrew,
James and Robert Lockhart.

The Belfast Newsletter of 23/12/1828 has a petition to the Mayor of Carrickfergus signed by a group of residents, including a Robert Lockhart (no address).
A newspaper article of Jan 1839 has a John Lockhart in Kilroot, and another of July 1840 a William Lockhart as a juror in Carrickfergus
A James Lockhart had more than 20 acres of land in Kilroot in Aug 1851. His only daughter Mary Jane married John Thompson Jan 1877. His son James married Susan Weatherup 28/12/1871 and had Donald Weatherup Lockhart who died 18/10/1937. James senior died 26/3/1922
A Margaret Lockhart , relict of James Lockhart , Kilroot, died Feb 6, 1895, aged 78 and was interred in St Nicholas Burying Ground which therefore may contain some informative tombstones

Duncrue is in the townland "Middle Division" where the Griffiths Valuation of 1861 lists William ,John , and James Lockhart , all tenants of Marquis of Downshire (A Robert Lockhart is also listed in North St and Thomas in West St). I have gone through the Register of Deeds Grantor Index from 1860 backwards several decades and there is no record of any MOD /Lockhart lease (which didn't surprise me , but it would have been nice)

In Nov 1851 "Janet Lockhart , a middle aged woman" met a grisly end in the Bleach Works at Woodburn. She fell into machinery and was ground up.

An article of May 1852 describes

"Duncrue Salt Fields ... about a mile and a half to the north and west of Carrickfergus and opposite the picturesque village and bleach green of Woodburne"

The salt mines were a thriving concern and in Dec 1852 much excitement arose when they finally discovered coal (as had been predicted) under the salt. Hence Kilroot Power Station.

More tragedy in the Lockhart family - Belfast Newsletter Jan 31 1867:-

Report of inquest at Duncrue into death by gunshot of Mary Lockhart , a young woman of about 21. Mary and her sister (not named) were in their own house when a young boy of about 13 called Irwin, a relative, came in looking for their brother's fowling piece. The sisters indicated same and even some caps for the gun. Thinking to just frighten them and neither party realising gun was loaded he pointed same and fired. Mary was hit in the head and died instantly. Verdict of accidental death. This is after official death registration began but image is not available on irishgenealogy, however copy can be ordered and might just be enlightening about her parentage

In Dec 1902 a James Lockhart , tenant in Eden, which is adjacent to Kilroot , was in a rental dispute with his landlord W D Duncan Wilson

In 1903 James Lockhart in Kilroot acted as spokesman for tenants on Holywood estate and is probably the same who was prosecuted for not getting his son Edward McNeilly Lockhart vaccinated

I am slightly puzzled as to where your 1851 census info comes from. There are Lockharts searchable for that year on the National Archives website but not the ones you state ?

Matt

PS Just as i was about to post, I saw Aghadowey's comment about not getting your hopes up, echoing my own sentiments, amplified by this post

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 June 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Something I would add, is that if you put the words samuel hamilton carrickfergus into the 'Full Abstract:' field in the online PRONI Will Calendars, you will get back a number of 'hits', including 3 Lockharts...

Which might suggest a basis for John Anderson and Ellen Lockhart naming a child thus and tie them in to these other Lockharts.

BUT, it doesn't mean that Samuel Hamilton (of maybe a couple of generations - father/son?) of Duncrue/Duncrew was actually related, he may just have been a friend and local 'pillar of society'.

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
Gents

I agree but I live in hope. Brickwalls for John and Ellen.

I took my original steer from the suggestion that Margaret Lockhart was the sister of Ellen. Then her marriage to Wm Brennan names James Lockhart as her father but I am coming to realise that there are several James Lockhart's around this time - some in Kilroot and others in Duncrew

In the will of William L, (1808-1889) and the probate of Agnes, his spinster daughter, mention is made of James Irwin of Duncrew as executor. Mary, Martha and Robert are also mentioned - hence connecting to the machinery accident and tying up this family

Mary married Henry Mcbrinn who was an executor on Ellen's Anderson (nee Lockhart's) will

In the same will Samuel Hamilton is also executor - I will follow up on the PRONI searches for Samuel - thank you

I have the Weatherup detail but as you say its on the Kilroot side - the james, Robert and William Duncrew connection feels closer

Thank you both again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1851 census extract from an Old Age Pension claim-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKJW-4BF7
James Lockhart (applicant in 1917 gave parents as James & Eliza). Looks like the family was found in Middle Division. Pension age was 70 then so James possibly born c1847 or earlier.
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246684/007246684_01130.pdf

Possibly this is James in 1911 with family (oldest James Lockhart in Co. Antrim in that census)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Templecorran/Kilroot/188670/
This James Lockhart is the one who married Susan Weatherup mentioned by mattfrombann a few posts earlier.
Same family in 1901-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Templecorran/Kilroot/990313/

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 June 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Here is Ellen Anderson at the birth of her sister Margaret's first child - Woodburn 1868 - http://brennen.caltech.edu/brennen/file1d.htm