Author Topic: Military Records  (Read 318 times)

Offline Justsue

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Records
« on: Tuesday 12 November 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  My great grandfather was married in Fermoy, Cork in 1904.  His address on his marriage cert is New Barracks, Fermoy and profession is Private Soldier.  His name on the marriage certificate is Percy O'Brien.  Just to confuse things, his name on the birth cert of his 3 children is Pierce O'Brien.  He moved to the UK around 1930.  I am unable to find him in any military records using either name nor in any census records in Ireland or the UK.  His father's name was James but I am unable to find a link using his name either.  I have used Ancestry but am currently on Find My Past but neither have shed any light.  Can anyone suggest any other paths I can follow to try to find him? 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, as a soldier he will only be recorded by his initials in the Census of Ireland, if he's in Ireland, also his occupation will be his job before he signed up.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Military Records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say he came to England 1930, did he come with his wife/children?  If so can you find any of them on the 1939 Survey?

Is there any indication of age at Marriage?

The more information you give, will help others with their search and stop duplication of what you already know.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.