Author Topic: DESCENDANTS OF SWINBURNE FAMILY, COLLON, COUNTY LOUTH, IRELAND  (Read 1555 times)

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DESCENDANTS OF SWINBURNE FAMILY, COLLON, COUNTY LOUTH, IRELAND
« on: Thursday 14 November 19 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm still relatively new to Rootschat so please be patient with me!

Elsewhere on Rootschat I've started a topic with regards to my great-grandfather, Harry
Rundle, & I'm having great help with that to fill in missing pieces in the family story. That topic is related to my mother's side through her father. Thanks everyone for all your help with regards to that.

Also related to my mother's side is the name Swinburne/Swinbourne. Richard Swinbourne, born 1789, became a member of the Lough Regiment of Militia at age 17 & was eventually made a Corporal. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1851 with his wife, Ann McGrath, & their children, some of whom eventually made their way to the USA. Richard Swinbourne & family were some of the first settlers at Lyttelton Immigration Barracks, Port Lyttelton, NZ, in the early 1850's.

One of their children, John Foster Swinbourne born in or around 1826, married Eleanor Saunders in Dublin, Ireland in 1849 & initially emigrated to Sydney, Australia in July 1849, before his parents decided to do the same about 2 years later. He then travelled on to New Zealand, eventually making their way back to Australia in or around 1863. John Foster & Eleanor Swinbourne (nee Saunders) are my great-great-great grandparents on my mother's (maternal) side.

According to what I've researched, John Foster & Eleanor Swinbourne had 9 children, 7 boys & 2 girls. All of their children, except the two youngest, were born in New Zealand. The youngest, William, was only about 12 months old when he died.

One of John & Eleanor's sons, John Foster Swinbourne born around 1856, married Ellen Elizabeth Bishop around 1880, in Waterloo, Sydney, Australia & had 10 children, 7 boys & 3 girls. Their second son, George Charles Swinbourne, born around 1882, died within 12 months of being born.

John & Eleanor's 5th child, & 3rd eldest son, another John Foster Swinbourne born around 1888, married Grace Dodd Patterson around 1910 in Waterloo, Sydney, Australia, & had 9 children, 2 boys & 7 girls.

John & Grace's 6th child, & 4th eldest daughter, Ellen "Nell" Swinbourne, married Joseph John Rundle in the Waterloo/Redfern area of Sydney, Australia, in the early 1940's. As mentioned earlier under the other topic, Harry Rundle is Joseph John Rundle's father.

There is some information I've uncovered which seems to indicate that Ellen "Nell" Swinbourne was married to an EDWARD G SHORTLAND, prior to her marriage to Joseph John Rundle. I would appreciate any assistance in proving/disproving this, as I only have this person's name & no other details. As far as I know, there's been no talk in family circles of any knowledge of who this person is, & whether my grandmother, Ellen Swinbourne, was married to anyone else prior to her marriage to Joseph Rundle.

The other really interesting information I have, or rather that the family is aware of, is that Grace Dodd Patterson is related to one of Australia's greatest poets, Andrew Barton "Banjo" Patterson, who we all know wrote "Waltzing Matilda". Apparently Grace is one of the Banjo's sisters, which would make the Banjo my great-great uncle. Our family are aware that Ellen "Nell" Swinbourne & her parents, John Foster & Grace Swinbourne (nee Patterson) are buried at the Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park & Crematorium. Although quite some time ago now, I've personally seen their plaques when I used to live in Sydney.

Any assistance proving (or even disproving!) this link would be much appreciated! Thank you  :)
Rundle/Rumble, Inchley, Hales

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DESCENDANTS OF SWINBURNE FAMILY, COLLON, COUNTY LOUTH, IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 November 19 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I've realised that I've spelt Grace's surname wrong, it should be Paterson with one "t". I've discovered Grace Dodd Paterson's date of death is 11th May 1946. She is buried at Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park in Matraville, Sydney, Australia, alongside her husband. Her plot is at Columbarium, Wall Unit C, Position 1.

Regards  :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 November 19 08:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 November 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
There is an Australian marriage record in New South Wales of
Edward G Shortland to Nellie Swinburn in 1929 Petersham #2261

On the register of electors in 1937 an Edward G and Nellie SHORTLAND are shown
On the register of electors in 1943 an Edward G and Frances Jane SHORTLAND are shown

If your Nell was of marrying age by 1929 this could be her but you would need to investigate the original records to be sure; only the transcriptions are online

Edited
This Nellie Shortland nee Swinburn died in August 1938
Her parents were a different couple also - Nelson Swinburn & Mary Dunn
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 November 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann, I've seen something similar to that but no, it wasn't created by me. Regards  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 November 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »

Pity it is so vague...  "Leasing from Foster" for example.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 November 19 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed you mentioned where Nell was buried LINK
This shows her as born circa 1910 which could mean the 1929 marriage was her at aged c 19

edited previous post to correct this suggestion
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 November 19 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi myluck!, I believe "Nell" Swinbourne would've been born around 1920, possibly just prior to that. So I'm starting to believe the Nell/Ellen Swinbourne who was married to Edward Shortland is not the one I'm looking for. Regards  :)