Author Topic: Paul John FREI, born Zurich 1910.....Any help needed please.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paul John FREI, born Zurich 1910.....Any help needed please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 November 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The implication in the original post was that he was interned in WW2. If that is correct, that would indicate his German ancestry. Swiss were not enemy aliens, so merely had to report to the police station, and seek authority when travelling. I have my Grandmother’s ID card from this time. She and two of my other grandparents were early Swiss migrants to UK in early 20th c so I am familiar with this situation.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 November 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Paul and ciderdrinker :)

Just to say that I have passed all of the information, links and tips you have provided, on to my friend, she has asked me to pass on her profound thanks and very best regards to you both and will report back when she has advanced in her quest to find out about her Grandfather, once again many thanks to you both  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  :), just to update the thread I passed the information and recommendations which I was kindly given here to my friend, and she subsequently emailed the address recommended asking if anything was known regarding her Grandfather, this is the reply they kindly sent her:-

Dear Mrs. *******

Thank you for your inquiry of January 6, 2020 regarding your grandfather Paul Frei.

The following information about the search person is recorded in the Zurich City Archives evidence of the Zurich residents' control:

Paul Frei
Born on August 2, 1910 in Zurich Oerlikon, citizen of Bankholzen (Germany).
He had been living in Zurich since his birth and moved from Zurich to Glasgow (Scotland) on March 28, 1933.

His parents' marriage was on September 3, 1901, :
Otto Frei, born on November 18, 1877 and
Maria Frei-Sommerhalder, born on August 27, 1881, died on November 9, 1929)

Otto Frei moved from Zurich to Kueblis GR (Switzerland) on November 1, 1937.

I hope I could help you with this information and wish you all the best, good luck and good health for 2020.

Best Regards from Zurich
Archivmitarbeiterin

At least she now knows more than she did, and she is continuing her quest, she once again has asked me to pass on her profound thanks and gratitude to you.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Frank,
That is an excellent result! They have been very helpful. They have had to look in a number of records to assemble the information.
Bankholzen is very close to the Swiss border in the very south of Germany. This confirms why Paul was interned.
Your friend could ask Zurich if they have the place of birth for both parents also the Place of Origin for Maria Sommerhalder to help tracing her line, as it would appear she was Swiss.
Others on here can help with the German research, but once you have Maria’s details (as above), come back for more help.
Thank you for giving this feedback.
Paul