Author Topic: Atkinson 1648 - Latin document  (Read 201 times)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Atkinson 1648 - Latin document
« on: Friday 15 November 19 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Another Latin document for translation, if possible, please.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Atkinson 1648 - Latin document
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
City of Carlisle
At the court of the Lord King Charles for trying pleas between parties, held in the same place on Monday, namely the twentieth day of November, in the year of the Lord 1648. Before Robert Colyer Esquire, mayor of the aforesaid city, Richard Lowry and William Atkinson, bailiffs of the same city. Amongst others there came John Grame otherwise Galloway and his wife, and through John Baines his attorney he complained in a plea of debt against the defendant George Atkinson, who had been attached by George Boes, servant [of the common key?] of the aforesaid city. The plea was then and there heard on the oaths of the jurors -- Matthew Wilkinson, merchant, Thomas Syde, Thomas Monke, Peter Norman, Thomas Allison, John Glaister, Thomas Jackson, shoemaker, Robert Atkinson, John Peate, William Robinson, George Marton, William Railton, Hugh Hodgson and Christopher Durrance – who, charged upon their oaths, say that the aforesaid plaintiff John Grame should recover from the aforesaid defendant George Atkinson 34 shillings of public debt and 16 pence for the expenses of the court. And thus the defendant was at the mercy of the court.
This copy agrees with the original, examined by me, John Pattinson, Clerk of the Court in the same place.

(Not sure about the phrase in square brackets, but presumably some sort of city officer.)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, Bookbox !!
Now I know why there were so many different names in the doc  ;D  but wondering whether I'll ever be able to discover why John Grame was "otherwise Galloway"  ???

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
It simply indicates that he was also known as Galloway. It could be the name of one of his parents (especially if they were unmarried), or a step-parent’s name, or he might have been brought up by someone else with that name, or taken his wife’s surname, or changed his name for inheritance purposes, etc.
ADDED - or, given the locality, he or his family might originally have come from Galloway.

Without further research, it can only be guesswork.

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Bookbox - looks like I'll have to widen the net to include the name Galloway in my research.