Author Topic: Help with Arthur Barrett please, M26081 and P./M.X.59956  (Read 626 times)

Offline mossyanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Arthur Barrett please, M26081 and P./M.X.59956
« on: Friday 15 November 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found a couple of naval records for Arthur Barrett, b. 1896 Chelsea, who has been a bit of a mystery so far. 
I am not completely familiar with military records and wonder if anybody could help me make sense of these records.  I'd like to know if he saw any action, and if so what battles he was involved in.

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Arthur Barrett please, M26081 and P./M.X.59956
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, mossyanne.

You could consider asking a moderator to move this to the Military Board, though they will probably see your posting anyway, just may take a little longer.

Offline mossyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ChemPat, I'm new to RootsChat so thought I'd use this board, but you're right - my query is very military.  I'll try the Moderator button. MossyAnne

Topic moved to Armed Forces.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 November 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :D

I can't see anything on the record that specifically states any battles he may have taken part in.  There is a list of the ships he served in and the dates.  I notice that he served in the same ship more than once.

As he joined in 1917 this would have been at the latter end of the First World War.  No doubt someone with more knowledge can tell you if he had been in any battles.

This appears to be his birth registration from the GRO

BARRETT, ARTHUR       DEARING 
GRO Reference: 1896  J Quarter in CHELSEA  Volume 01A  Page 383

This looks like his parents marriage

Marriages Jun 1887 
Barrett    John James        St. Saviour    1d   338    
DEARING    Lydia Louisa        St. Saviour    1d   338

Arthur's occupation in 1911 was clock making trade.  He is listed as the youngest and he was one of 12 children.  This is the 1911 address 395 Albany Road, Camberwell, London & Surrey

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 November 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Vernon and Inconstant appear effectively to have been old training ships permanently part of training bases. As he was at Vernon during the war years it appears he would not have seen any action. The history of both HMS Vernon and HMS Inconstant is quite complicated and you can easily Google both for more information than I could provide here.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline mossyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 November 19 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide and Imber,
Many thanks for your help, not a very interesting WWI record, but very informative to know what he would have been involved in.
I think he also relisted in May 1939 (see attached) and wonder what this record tells please.
Thanks again,
MossyAnne

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 December 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

At the NA there is a second page to the 1939 record which says "WAR GRATUITY PAID.  Hornet 123"

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14816785

I think this might refer to HMS Hornet, a Coastal Forces Base at Gosport.

I found this but I am not a subscriber so I can'f see if there is any further information. (10th entry on list)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01opw/

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Oxfaze

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just joined and this is my first post. I've been searching online for information about Arthur Barrett, who was my father in law's stepfather, and found the query here from MossyAnne. Arthur saw service in the RN in both world wars. Early in WW2 he was Chief Petty Officer (Electrial Artifier) on HMS Bittern, a sloop that took part in the Narvik campaign in May 1940. It was attacked by German dive bombers and critically damaged. The crew were taken off and the ship was torpedoed by a British destroyer to prevent it falling into enemy hands. Arthur subsequently served with HMS Hornet, a shore establishment for motor torpedo boats at Gosport. He was awarded the BEM (Military Division) in the new year's honours 1943. My father in law believed this was for his bravery in dealing with incendiary bombs during the Portsmouth blitz in Jan 1941. I'm currently editing my father in law's memoirs which include some more information about Arthur. I am also fortunate to have Arthur's medals - First and Second World War medals and BEM.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Hi Oxfaze,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

The original poster of this thread mossyanne hasn't been here since Nov 2019, but hopefully they will get an email to let them know that there is a post here for them.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)