Author Topic: BENNETT, Sarah Jane - Spondon circa 1824 - 1827  (Read 1257 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT, Sarah Jane - Spondon circa 1824 - 1827
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 November 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
18 May 1823, St Lawrence, Heanor
Charles BENNET, Bachelor
Jane RADFORD, Spinster
Both of the Parish
(FreeREG)

As for John Benn* in 1841 Census 1851 he is born c 1808 Foston, married Ann Bourne 1831 so looks like Jane is not their child as you thought.
John/Ann childrens Bapt are on FreeREG Church Broughton and there is no Jane to them.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 November 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you all for that information.

I have created a quick tree for this family to see if there are any hints.

There are two trees for this family - I haven't checked any of this in any detail yet, but these trees show the son Joseph marrying Elizabeth Smith in  Manchester in 1853 - he shows his father as Charles Bennett , Gardner and the 1861 census has Joseph Bennett born Spondon living in Chorlton upon Medlock, Lancashire, so this seems plausible.  He goes on to die in Fairfield, Derbyshire in 1867 with children born in both counties.

The trees also show the Sarah Bennett buried in Spondon in 1837 as Charles' mother, and from the trees she appears to be  Sarah Moss married to Joseph Bennet in Heanor in 1823.  Perhaps the Joseph buried in 1838 is Charles' father?

Unfortunately, neither tree shows the fate of any of the other children.

A possible sighting for Mary in 1841 - Ancestry has a Mary Bennett age 9 indexed her on her own, but the image shows her living with William Grundy, joiner and his wife Sarah in Stanley.

I will continue to look into this family, but I wonder if this Sarah is too young to be marrying in Melbourne in 1845?

EDIT: The 1871 census has Charles Bennett born Heanor, Brother-in-law living with Elizabeth Bennett, Head in Fairfield, so I think we can rule out Charles going to Australia and taking younger siblings with him.

Offline kc_1560

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 20 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Am a bit late to this discussion but SJB is also my ggg grandmother. I've also seen the numerous Ancestry trees which link her to John and Maria Turton of Yorkshire, but have her born and baptised in Spondon, Derbyshire. Other trees have her in the 1851 census in Spondon as Sarah J Bennett-highly unlikely if she came all the way to Australia and was married in 1845. I also have her marriage cert which as you say, doesn't mention parents or place of birth. The death cert I have for her says parents are unknown, that she was was born in England, and had been in Victoria 82 years. The death notice inserted in The Age by her daughter only tells us she'd been in Victoria for 78 years.

So really, there seems to be no firm evidence as to where she was born, apart from England-which is frustrating. I have searched shipping records for Victoria and NSW and SA but couldn't find anything, although perhaps I've missed something...

KC