Author Topic: John Evans and interesting family names  (Read 2521 times)

Offline arum lily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Evans and interesting family names
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 November 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you girl guide but I have all the info on Helah.

It is Hannah shown as Anna on 1871 whom I cannot find.

Hazelelponi born Chetnole dorset 1848 shown on 1861

Huramlomi or Huram Loami or Herman born 1844 chardstock.
These are those I am unable to trace
Evans, Forsey Poole, Somerset  Devon Dorset Whitehead, White, Wines (South Petherton) Vickery, Somerset, Woodrow, Pengelly,Tope Devon, Chatfield Sussex,

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 November 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad
Having looked at my notes again this is where I think I quoted from originally. I cannot check census as I do not belong to any sites

“The south Gloucestershire parish of St George was in the eastern part of the out-parish of St. Philip & Jacob, Bristol until 1751, when the ecclesiastical parish was created. The civil parish formed in 1784, comprised of what are now the east Bristol suburbs of Crews Hole, Crofts End, Greenbank, Lower Easton, Moorfields, Redfield, St George, Speedwell, Two Mile Hill, Whitehall, and White’s Hill. It bounded on the north by the parish of Stapleton, on the east by the former chapelries/tithings of Oldland and Hanham Abbots both in the parish of Bitton, and the west by the out-parish of St Philip & Jacob, Bristol. The river Avon marks the southern boundary and the old division between the counties of Gloucestershire and Somerset.”

It is entirely possible that FamilySearch has confused White's Hill in Bristol with Whiteshill in Gloucestershire.
Looking at the original census (not a transcription) would therefore be advisable.

Many libraries offer access to either Ancestry of FindMyPast. Worth checking your local library.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline arum lily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 November 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again KGarrad I will go to my Heritage center hopefully soon.
Evans, Forsey Poole, Somerset  Devon Dorset Whitehead, White, Wines (South Petherton) Vickery, Somerset, Woodrow, Pengelly,Tope Devon, Chatfield Sussex,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 November 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad
Having looked at my notes again this is where I think I quoted from originally. I cannot check census as I do not belong to any sites

“The south Gloucestershire parish of St George was in the eastern part of the out-parish of St. Philip & Jacob, Bristol until 1751, when the ecclesiastical parish was created. The civil parish formed in 1784, comprised of what are now the east Bristol suburbs of Crews Hole, Crofts End, Greenbank, Lower Easton, Moorfields, Redfield, St George, Speedwell, Two Mile Hill, Whitehall, and White’s Hill. It bounded on the north by the parish of Stapleton, on the east by the former chapelries/tithings of Oldland and Hanham Abbots both in the parish of Bitton, and the west by the out-parish of St Philip & Jacob, Bristol. The river Avon marks the southern boundary and the old division between the counties of Gloucestershire and Somerset.”

It is entirely possible that FamilySearch has confused White's Hill in Bristol with Whiteshill in Gloucestershire.
Looking at the original census (not a transcription) would therefore be advisable.

Many libraries offer access to either Ancestry of FindMyPast. Worth checking your local library.

1871 image is headed
Civil Parish -St George
Village -Whites Hill
Ecclesiastical District - St Michael

Front page of that Piece - Superintendent Registrars District - Clifton, Sub District St George.

First properties are in Nags Head Mile (or Hill)  in case you know it KG  ;D
The walking route mentions Bounded on the north by the Bath Road.. on the south by the Avon to the tar works.. on the west from the river by Troopers Hill to the Lord Raglan Inn
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 November 19 18:27 GMT (UK) »
1871 image is headed
Civil Parish -St George
Village -Whites Hill
Ecclesiastical District - St Michael

Front page of that Piece - Superintendent Registrars District - Clifton, Sub District St George.

First properties are in Nags Head Mile (or Hill)  in case you know it KG  ;D
The walking route mentions Bounded on the north by the Bath Road.. on the south by the Avon to the tar works.. on the west from the river by Troopers Hill to the Lord Raglan Inn

I am familiar with all the streets named!
Wrong side of Bristol for me - but I know both hills  :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline arum lily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 November 19 19:01 GMT (UK) »
ok Rosie99 & KGarrad So were my family in Bristol area Or Whiteshill Gloucester or has family search confused things or maybe it's just me that is confused.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 November 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes the family are definitely in Bristol in 1871.  The walking route mentions Troopers Hill which still exists today.

Also the wrong side of Bristol to me as I am in South Bristol.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline arum lily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 November 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Girl Guide for confirmation.
 Thanks also to KGarrad & Rosie99 for replying & checking for me.
I guess I will still have to keep looking to find what happened to the other members of the family. With the names they were given you would think I could find them somewhere

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 November 20 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I have done an extensive family tree for this family for a friend. Hardicanute was his great-grandfather. If you are a member of any genealogy site maybe I can give you access to it.

Lesleyann