Author Topic: Masonic School on Jersey?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Masonic School on Jersey?
« on: Sunday 17 November 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if there was a boarding, probably, school with masonic connections somewhere on Jersey, as it seems that a sibling of an ancestor of mine, after the death of both his parents left him orphaned at a very young age, in the very early 1920s somehow went from Lancashire to a school on Jersey, most likely as a recipient of Masonic largesse?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Masonic School on Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I think the father of a friend went there. I am seeing the friend for lunch tomorrow. I will update this if nobody beats me to it.

Martin

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 19 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, it's not my direct line, but that boy and my own grandmother were half siblings, she was the eldest daughter of the first wife, he was the son of the second wife, and both died in, I think, the Influenza  scourge of 1919. The eldest son of the first family appears to have wanted nothing to do with the poor child, and we think unloaded him via father's masonic links.
I'd like to know where he went. I believe a couple of maiden aunts were mainly responsible for him in most practical matters.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 November 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you can give his name, it might be possible to tackle this from another angle.

Stewart

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 November 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Cummins, b about 1916 Ormskirk area.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 November 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, it's not my direct line, but that boy and my own grandmother were half siblings, she was the eldest daughter of the first wife, he was the son of the second wife, and both died in, I think, the Influenza  scourge of 1919. The eldest son of the first family appears to have wanted nothing to do with the poor child, and we think unloaded him via father's masonic links.
I'd like to know where he went. I believe a couple of maiden aunts were mainly responsible for him in most practical matters.

I am confused, who died in 1919.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 November 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Both of his parents, that is, my great grandfather and his second wife, Reginald's mum. The boy was about 4 years old. Sorry, I'd not realised it was unclear. The family of the first wife knew very little of him until I started hunting, some years ago.