Author Topic: Questions regarding an OPR Baptism record in Abercorn  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding an OPR Baptism record in Abercorn
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Skinniedipper,

When delving into Duntarvie's location, be aware that today's Duntarvie dwelling on the map used to be Wester Duntarvie. There was also an Easter Duntarvie (aka Old Duntarvie) (now just a field) immediately to the east of Duntarvie Castle. Both would be separately occupied by tenant farmers. In the first-edition OS map, Easter Duntarvie was more extensive than Wester Duntarvie. My ancestor Thomas Shatton was tenant in Duntarvie by 1787 until his death in 1816 when his son took over for a while, but precisely which part is nearly impossible to tell because in all the records there's never a distinction made between Wester and Easter. However there's an 1855 birth registration which mentions Easter Duntarvie so I've presumed that was the portion of which he was tenant. My understanding is that nearly all Duntarvie was let to George Henderson for 26 years from March 1777 and he sub-let to others, one of whom was my Thomas Shatton. (George Henderson was renowned for going into farms and subtenanting - he had dozens on the go at the same time.)

To complicate matters there was a string of labourers cottages called Duntarvie. As well as Duntarvie Castle which was separate again.

The Hopetoun House archives have a goodly amount of information on Duntarvie from the records of George Henderson (Rent Books, Crop records and so on, even his tenancy agreement) but none go back before 1777. So it's not possible to say whether your Alexander Meikle was a tenant of all or a part of Duntarvie.

Offline Skinniedipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding an OPR Baptism record in Abercorn
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 November 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for not replying sooner

Thanks very much to all those who replied to my post with really great information. It appears that Duntarvie is the location. I also found information on other sites that confirms that Alexander did indeed marry twice.

Thank you so much.

Douglas,
Queensland, Australia
Researching:
Co Durham: Brown, Cole, Cunningham, Hatch, Ramsay
Essex: Young
London: Guy, Young
Berkshire: Mattingly, Bushnell
Northumberland: Brown, Cairns
Dumfriesshire: Cairns, Thomson, Carruthers, Hogg
Lanarkshire: Cairns
Hampshire: Bushel, Bushell