Author Topic: Jack GRANT - Help needed finding Death Details  (Read 2668 times)

Offline nicky_74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jack GRANT - Help needed finding Death Details
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 November 19 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ed.

May I ask where you sourced the funeral notice from? Does CWD have online records?

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 November 19 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Nicky,

I requested the notice from Orange Library quite some time ago. Note that there is no mention of his wife although there may have been a death notice with that information which the library didn't find or send?? The other interesting thing is that there is no headstone.

I have ordered his 1955 marriage certificate to see if that reveals any information - I'm wondering if he had an earlier marriage. I will forward you a copy of the certificate as soon as it arrives. 

Ed

Offline nicky_74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 December 19 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Ed, I've spent quite some time in the Orange Library. They have wonderful resources and very helpful staff.

Jack's funeral notice didn't mention a wife, although his death certificate states, married. It's also interesting to note that his stepson, A N McBride was the informant and lived at the same premises.

Nicky

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 December 19 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Just thought that I should fully explain my earlier post regarding Orange Library when I said "there may have been a death notice with that information which the library didn't find or send?" I'm certainly not suggesting that the library was in any way unhelpful. Sometimes death notices are placed in newspapers weeks after a funeral notice and I never ask or expect staff to search more than a few days.
I have contacted many libraries for information for various voluntary projects I have worked on during the last 20 odd years and with great success. One occasion that will always stand out in my mind is a request to Queensland State Library for a funeral notice - I explained to the library staff that I needed the notice to see if it revealed any contactable relatives as I was looking for a photograph of a WWI Soldier for a memorial. I was hopeful of receiving the notice. However, their response, before contacting me, was to find the notice and then make numerous phone calls throughout Queensland eventually finding the late soldiers daughter living in Maleny, Qld. And, she had a photograph! Needless to say I was enormously grateful as they certainly far exceeded my expectations.

Kind regards,
Ed

Offline nicky_74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 December 19 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed,

That's amazing that they went to so much effort.

In regard to the Orange Library staff, in no way did I think your comment was negative and apologise if my comment read that way.

Kind regards, Nicky

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 December 19 11:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ed and Nicky

On page 53 of the war record, Jack signs a stat dec saying he lost his discharge papers and requests a copy. He thinks he may have accidently destroyed them after the death of his wife 2 years previously. This was signed in 1952. So definitely looks like there was a previous wife.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennaya,

Thanks for your post; I should have noticed that but didn't!

I did suspect there was a earlier marriage due to another comment in his service record where he stated "no" to being married but later that was crossed out and replaced with "yes".

Anyway, the marriage certificate between Jack and Selinda McBride arrived last night which confirms the earlier marriage as Jack declared his marital status as 'widower'. See attached.

Although the confirmation of the earlier marriage has not helped much to identify his first wife at this stage. There is a Jack Grant who married Maude Rodrick on July 17, 1915 and she died on August 8, 1950 - that would fit the "two year earlier" period but that marriage took place while "my" Jack was in England.

Another death is Evelyn Agnes Grant who died at Manly on February 2, 1950 again in the time period but the only marriage I can find so far between Jack Grant and anyone called Evelyn Agnes is Evelyn Agnes Kenna who married John Grant in 1943 - just can't make that one fit at the moment. "My" Jack is called Jack, not John, on all other official records including his probate notice but that's not the only reason I can't make this marriage fit.

Anyway ...I will keep looking!

Thanks again for your post.

Regards,
Ed

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 December 19 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed and Nicky
   The probates have both marriage certs and death certs for both wives and for Jack

Just taking a quick break - will send you links tonight

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 December 19 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,

You are worth more money!!!

Will look forward to hearing from you tonight.

Regards,
Ed