Author Topic: William Colston, muderer hanged in 1891.  (Read 2115 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Colston, muderer hanged in 1891.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Evening News 15 Feb 1886
The Soudan Medals ....
FIELD BATTERY ....
Sergeant Colston....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111193638

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 05:52 GMT (UK) »
https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/atwar/sudan

Sudan (New South Wales Contingent) March-June 1885 ...
The contingent, an infantry battalion of 522 men and 24 officers, and an artillery battery of 212 men, was ready to sail on 3 March 1885. It left Sydney amid much public fanfare, generated in part by the holiday declared to farewell the troops. The send-off was described as the most festive occasion in the colony's history....

The artillery saw even less action than the infantry. They were posted to Handoub where, having no enemy close enough to engage, they drilled for a month. On 15 May they rejoined the camp at Suakin. Not having participated in any battles, Australian casualties were few: those who died fell to disease rather than enemy action. By May 1885 the British government had decided to abandon the campaign and left only a garrison in Suakin. The Australian contingent sailed for home on 17 May 1885.

The contingent arrived in Sydney on 19 June. They were expecting to land at Port Jackson and were surprised to disembark at the quarantine station on North Head near Manly as a precaution against disease
. ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Aaaah, you're a wonder majam! Thank you so much. I would love to know your methodology in researching :-)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I think he arrived on the CLAVERHOUSE, not the TYVEHOUSE, as recorded on his VIC PROV record.

The Claverhouse house can be connected to Hong Kong.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar, I did see the VIC PROV entry for TYVEHOUSE and dismissed it. The CLAVERHOUSE makes much more sense if it can be connected to Hong Kong.

Truly thank you to both you and majm.

Now if only I could find his birth in Bristol abt 1852. There are a couple of entries in the 1861 England census but I may now look at the 1871 also.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 06:13 GMT (UK) »
I treat the internet as though it is simply the 21st century replacement for my 6 x 4 tickler box (which still sits on my desk, in front of my keyboard.  Mr Tickler Box is actually three boxes, set up as indexes; likely I am a tad familiar with the cards and the dividers held within.   Of course, my trusty reference book (296 page botany book !) is also a vital tool.   

I am a tad NSW centric, and my first tickler box came into my collection (in the 1960s  :) ) as an inherited system from a grandparent who was born in NSW in 1870s, and in his own hand he noted he was 5th generation N. S. Waler.  He was a career public servant, in the Registrar General's Office, and various of his descendants down through several generations followed that path.  All my migrating NSW ancestors had arrived in NSW long before federation.

But don't press me to step outside of NSW unless for general thoughts about researching in general.

JM

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow! How wonderful to have such a knowledgeable person on this forum. I bet you have some wonderful stories gleaned from your Tickler Box. Have you published at all?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Sydney Daily Telegraph 29 Nov 1882
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/238479447

Artillery Garrison Gun Match ...  NSW Rifle Association,  Battery of George's Head,   .... first time Permanent and Volunteer Artillery have competed ....
Sergeant Colston, 2A Battery ....     

Notice the Volunteer Artillery are  (a battery number number followed by ) 'V.A.' and the Permanent Artillery are (a battery number followed only by) 'A'

Add, he was awarded 5th prize, £5
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/161924896  Sydney Mail.
Colston, Sergeant, Second Battery NSW A.  :)

JM