Author Topic: What happened to abandoned babies-1850's Enniscorthy  (Read 2309 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to abandoned babies-1850's Enniscorthy
« on: Wednesday 20 November 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Appealing to Rootschatters who have good social history knowledge of the Ferns Town area. I am constantly researching my background and have traced the family to this location; while looking through baptismal records and Petty Sessions Court registers, I have discovered that mothers would abandon their babies in such locations as behind a wall, in a field or left in someone's house.
Do any Rootschatters know the outcome for these abandoned children? Incidents of abandonment took place around late 1850's through to early 1860's.

On baptismal records there are no parents but a single sponsor is always written down
Would the sponsor be a relative of the child or someone who has stepped in to adopt the child?  Thanks for your help....look forward to return messages. Geraldine96

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO ABANDONED BABIES-1850's ENNISCORTHY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 November 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Multiple possibilities:
- Orphanage. They existed for this purpose, after all.
- Workhouse.
- Taken in by some family.

As for godparent, I don't think you can make any assumption. A sponsor could always be found. Some were regulars.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 November 19 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I have no dates but wonder if Nunneries would take a baby in?
However if the baby was abandoned in a field or behind a wall etc that might have been because there was no Nunnery  in the near vicinity.
There used to be some where there was something like a little cupboard in the big door, a baby would be placed in the cupboard ,the door closed and the bell would be rung and  the  poor mother would flee,so when a Nun came to the door she could open the door on the inside and there would be the baby,but no mother.
Poor souls, what dire straits they must have been in to have to do that.
Perhaps the above is of some help .
Best of luck with your searching.
Viktoria.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Wexflier and Viktoria, there's always useful information in return messages from Rootschat, the post isn't getting much interest, it must be an area that people don't know much about.

I have looked online but haven't found any articles regarding the abandonment of babies. I am based in England therefor can't locate any research material on the Enniscorthy area in our local library. I'll leave the post for a while and see if any more information comes in.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
A bit off topic,but there is a “Hospital”, near London I think.The Foundlings’
Hospital , opened by a man named Coram.
There girls without any means of support ,betrayed, abandoned etc  could take their babies and a record was kept,and a small token given by the mother.
Just a small button, an inch or two of ribbon, a feather etc .
In the fond hope that should their circumstances improve they could. claim  their baby,” I am Mary Smith, I left my baby here on ——- date and my token was a black button with four holes.”
But as you can imagine there are hundreds of such tokens and they represent unclaimed babies .
Heartbreaking.
Sorry not to be of more help. Viktoria.
Handel composed “The Messiah”, for funds for the hospital and it was first performed there.
This was in the 1700’s

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I believe Handel's Messiah was first performed in Dublin 13 April 1842 wasn't performed in London until 1843.

I think the reason your not getting more answers is that Wexflyer summed it all up in the first reply.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 November 19 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinann, my info was from a T.V programme many years ago, as I clear my brain I think it was only The Hallelujah chorus that was performed there ,it was if course not really known I London for quite a few more years.
I am pretty sure something like copyright was gifted to Coram’s.
Thanks for the correction .
Our music teacher at school told us the orchestras and choirs in Handel’s time were much smaller than today’s.
I do prefer a biggy though and each year would like to get to M/c Cathedral where “ bring your own copy and just sing Messiah” is the order of the day.
Thanks again.
Viktoria.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 November 19 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Can’tdo That but it may be on TV or something like StreetMob?
Thanks very much,V.