Author Topic: Duke of Argyll Inhabitants 1792  (Read 8428 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Argyll Inhabitants 1792
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 December 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Having said all of this, I wonder if Gigha might well be the right place to look, given that this is the only recorded marriage with anything like the right names.

Are there Macconachy's on Gigha in the  Duke's census, or was Gigha not part of his estate?

From the link I posted earlier there were no McConnachys on Gigha 1778 - 1790 i.e. they must have come from elsewhere?

Sorry, I don't have access to the Duke's census.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 December 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
the family may have moved quite a lot. I wonder if Archibald Achafarick (1851) is the same man as Archibald Taychroman (1841)? I don't have access to 1851 census just now, but it is something to check.

Sorry to have missed the significance of the link. They could have come from almost anywhere, but my Flora calls herself Duncan even when married, which might suggest Irish origins.

Gigha seems not to have been part of the Duke's estate.

Mary born Gigha seems to fit; I am less sure about the others. In time, I will check Campbeltown births also.

There is also the possibility of unusual spellings...

It is an intriguing connection, though.
McLean, Ireland and Campbeltown
McConnachy Gigha and Killean

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
"Also, has anyone come across Duncan as an alternative to McConnachy?"

"I understand that in Gaelic 'Mac Dhonnchaidh' is Son of Duncan, so it is possible that the surname became Duncan or Duncanson."

This is what I found & don't think it's an alternative to McC;

"If dh is used before a broad vowel (a, o, or u), it is pronounced similarly to the English 'g'"

I can't see an exact year for this but there's a list of place names under the Duke of Argyll:

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/land-tax-rolls-1645-1831/land-tax-rolls-argyll-volume-03/21

A place name mentioned earlier Largymore appears to be in Kilbride, Arran?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I tried both of those names on Scotland's people with no success. Fairly certain they spoke Gaelic mostly, so census takers etc wrote whatever they thought the name sounded like.

There was and is a Largymor on Arran, and also one near Kilchenzie (see the 1777 map- link above).

It is all very puzzling, and I am still trying to find a map that will show the MacConachy residence on Gigha...which sounds more likely the more I think about it.

Thank you indeed for your help.
McLean, Ireland and Campbeltown
McConnachy Gigha and Killean

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I meant to post this earlier, not sure if you've looked through it?

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=gigha

N.B. Not Gighay!

Annie

Add...If you put surname McConnachy/McConnachie etc. into search bar it will bring up all texts where the name shows up (all Scotland).

Offline Askomil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. Gigha is not included in the 1792 Census - the link provided by Rosinish on Gigha provides interesting information on the ownership of Gigha. There are a number of McConachy's in the Duke of Argyll 1792 Census and if it would be helpful I can provide a link to a website where it can be purchased - it is published by the Scottish Record Society. My ancestors are from Kintyre and it is a publication that I refer to regularly. Largymore is listed in this census, in the Parish of Kilchenzie. In one of the appendices of this publication, reference is made to anglicised surnames - Duncanson from McConnachie or McDonnachie.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 December 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does this census include Strachur, Strathlachlan and Kilfinan?

Thanks

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Askomil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 December 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does this census include Strachur, Strathlachlan and Kilfinan?

Thanks

Ann :)

Hi Anne, I'm afraid not. The publication's full title is "List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792" and therefore covers the parishes from Tarbert southwards.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 December 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-