Author Topic: Islet Scott of Kempsey, NSW  (Read 975 times)

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Islet Scott of Kempsey, NSW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 November 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
JM, I understood very little of what you wrote: you do believe in making things complicated!

Nor can I find any way to discover the date from the web site.
You didn't give a URL but I assume it's  https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au

What was the date of birth for Islet in 1863?
All I can find is 4635/1863 V18634635 121B

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 November 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
At the family history section of that website,  go to 'births'

At 'births' enter SCOTT at the family name.  Do NOT enter any other info on any other box.

Scroll down to the option re dates.

Enter 01/01/1864 to 31/12/1864

Enter the district as MACLEAY RIVER

And press the button to start the search.

There's the Female SCOTT.

Modify the criteria,  by changing only the date range.... 01/01/1864 to 31/01/1864.  Study the result, and then try deducing the date further.  Try 29Jan to 30 Jan,  and 28 Jan to 29 Jan.  And as a double check,  try any date in any other month.

There is nothing more complicated in NSW 19th century penal and colonial government administration than researching the records of the NSW BDM in the contexts in which they were created.  You questioned the reference number of 9845 for a January entry.  My explanation only glances the surface and is actually 'brief' :-X 

If you want confirmation of the 1863 baptism date, you should rely on the official transcription of any of  the NSW BDM appointed offical transcription agents.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 November 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
JM, I understood very little of what you wrote: you do believe in making things complicated!

Date is 31/12/1863
In section “Date of Event Range” click the arrow and select “No” then enter 31/12/1863
You have the option to search under Date of Event within a “Range” or “Exact” date (if you know the exact date). Otherwise with a little effort, you simply search within a “Range” and keep narrowing it down till you get to the exact date.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 November 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Cup,   

I am on e reader again and as usual,  when on e reader,  I am one finger typiste and unable to do live links. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 November 19 01:37 GMT (UK) »

Date is 31/12/1863
In section “Date of Event Range” click the arrow and select “No” then enter 31/12/1863
You have the option to search under Date of Event within a “Range” or “Exact” date (if you know the exact date). Otherwise with a little effort, you simply search within a “Range” and keep narrowing it down till you get to the exact date.

Sadly,  there is a flaw in the software driving those baptisms.  Choosing any one specific date in 1863 will likely find Islet,  do not rely on 31 December.  My ancient rellies (including retired NSW bdm senior officers) have no confidence in this option for ECRs.   
It is likely the most reliable and cost efficient option in this century is spending pennies  on an official transcription.

I simply do not understand why anyone would pay a subscription to look up BDM records of NSW events.  The NSW BDM has a more extensive set of indexes than Ancestry or Find My Past. 

NSW bdm online indexes have an option to drill down to exact date fir the event.  It has some flaws particularly for the Early Church Records.

JM

JM