Author Topic: Sir Rhys ap Rhys (1473-1521)  (Read 547 times)

Offline tfox1042

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir Rhys ap Rhys (1473-1521)
« on: Friday 22 November 19 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello. New member here.
My wife has traced her ancestry, via FamilySearch,  back to Sir Rhys ap Rhys, who married Mary Trevor in 1501. Their son, Gruffydd Rhys married Jane Stuart.
Sir Rhys ap Rhys died on 29 September 1521 and was buried in Greyfriars Priory.
He is claimed to be a son of Sir Rhys ap Thomas KG. However, I can find no independent evidence of this.
If anyone could shed any light on this elusive gentleman, we would be very appreciative.
tfox1042

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Rhys ap Rhys (1473-1521)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 November 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello  tfox1042

Welcome to Rootchat.

I have been through all my History/Reference  books and can find no Rhys ap Rhys for the date you have given,only ones in 1100/1200s.

Plenty of info regarding Rhys ap Thomas.
It seems he married twice,died at Carew Castle in 1527 aged 76 and buried in the Monastery of the Grey Friars,Carmarthen.Later,his remains and those of one of his wives were removed to St Peters Church.The place of his rest in this Church is marked by a tomb,a large sculpured mass.

There are several books you could buy,including ones written by Francis Jones who at one time worked at the NLW

If you live in the UK maybe a visit to National Library of Wales would help

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know