Author Topic: LAWTON of Carrigtohill/Midleton  (Read 1431 times)

Offline carrigfitz2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LAWTON of Carrigtohill/Midleton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 February 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, Ellen Lawton was one of the Woodstock Lawtons and David from Ballyrichard I believe was her first cousin, the Church record of their marriage shows that they got a dispensation to marry, so their Fathers must have been brothers, but Ellen's father was William who married Ellen Mahony and his father was James Lawton and I am having difficulty matching up Davids father Michael  as another son of James. James did have a son Michael, but he died at 10 years old in 1819. I thought maybe David's father Michael might have been born after that death, I have seen a number of families at that time who would have called a child the same name as a dead sibling.

Offline GMTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 21 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to KG and Carrigfitz2021 for recent Lawton postings. Your info has enabled me for the first time to identify the structure of my Lawton family. I had numerous names but didn't know who was who.
Mary Lawton (Walsh/Cotter) and siblings were sister to my Gt Grandmother Kate Lawton.
Kate Lawton and her husband John Sheehan (shopkeepers from Main St Midleton) both died before they were 30 years old. John died in 1879, and Kate died in 1880. (Pthisis).  Their daughter Hanora also died in 1881, age 16 months. Mary Cotter was present at the deaths of Kate and her daughter. Their only other child Michael Sheehan would have been approx 3 years old at the time of his parents and sister deaths.  Michael was my Grandfather and I can only suspect that the Lawton family would have been involved in his upbringing but I can find no record of this.
After his birth record I have no information regarding Michael Sheehan until he enlisted in the army in 1889. I then have a record of his marriage in 1913. He married in 1913 at the Catholic Church in Midleton.
Thank you for the information you supplied.

Offline carrigfitz2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi GMTS,
Just to let you know that the Mary Cotter present at the death of Kate Sheehan was her sister Mary who had married Thomas Cotter.
Also you may have this already, it's the Coughlan family at the 1911 census
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Middleton_Urban/Old_Cork_Road/434729/

Talk again