Author Topic: Quaker Marriage in Canton, China or in Hong Kong  (Read 2491 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quaker Marriage in Canton, China or in Hong Kong
« on: Sunday 24 November 19 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Helen Tow was an American Quaker Missionary in Canton, China. She married George Stacey Kennedy-Skipton a Hong Kong based British Civil Servant. (Burkes Irish (minor) Nobility) on 23 August 1924. I have agonized as to where ….  Canton or Hong Kong?

I am now leaning towards Canton as she was based there, she had fellow missionaries there. He being male travelled alone better. Her Quaker leader was Mr Cadbury ( American) who published in his diaries that she was getting married but did not comment on where. Are there any thoughts (sources) as to where?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Marriage in Canton, China or in Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 19 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I don’t see any newspaper announcements.
Not even The Straits Times.
Nor in Irish papers  that I can see.  Reports of his parents funerals etc etc. (including a description of the inside of the family vault).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Kennedy-Skipton George S.  Born 1898 Cheltenham District, England, UK.

The National Archives, Kew
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14049785
"FCO 141/15495, 15554, 15640, 15641, 16947, 17153-17154:
cases: ... inquiry into Kennedy-Skipton Case, member of the Cadet Service, employed by the Japanese during the occupation of Hong Kong; ... 1946-61
"

"CO 968/1184 Hong Kong: George Stacey Kennedy-Skipton, former Hong Kong Civil Servant"
"Personal file supplement" dated 1944 to 1945
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C17014398

Accused of disloyalty see Newspapers Singapore Government
https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Search?ST=1&AT=search&k=%22Kennedy%20Skipton%22

Apparently had an Irish Passport later?

Passenger Lists should give his movements and dates 1920s?

Mark

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 06:17 BST (UK) »
No solid evidence where the marriage was taken place but it seems likely that the ceremony was performed in Canton. Quaker records (correspondence back and forward) indicate that the Bride (a Quaker in Canton) was organizing the Wedding. That seems to indicate a wedding in her locality rather than his in Hong Kong. The wedding is mentioned in the Hong Kong newspaper but no place or date. If the Quakers had the ability to marry people in Canton under Chinese law that would seem to provide more evidence where the marriage took place. 

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 07:06 BST (UK) »
A few nights ago I jumped up out of bed with the thought of a perpetual calendar and brought up the one for 1924, the year that Helen and George married. They married on a Saturday. No surprise. He would have caught the Train from Hong Kong to Canton. Unless I am proved wrong I am assuming the couple got married in Canton. More records surface. After his escape from Japanese occupied Hong Kong George was shipped back to England - First Class on the Liner. Whether HM Government wanted him alone from other passengers or that was the cabin for his rank in the Civil Service I do not know.