Author Topic: How do I search this site?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I search this site?
« on: Sunday 24 November 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
How do I find my relatives on here?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bsubject_id%3A574537

Is this all the Hull cemeteries, or are there other records elsewhere?

I have relatives buried in hedon road cemetery,  northern cemetery, general cemetery and sculcoates lane cemeteries, although I don't know how many had gravestones as they were poor. Would it have been common to have been buried pre-WW2 without a gravestone, maybe a wooden cross or something?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I search this site?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Click on a cemetery...scroll down and you will see this in blue to open:

Subjects
Locality Subjects
England, Yorkshire, Hull - Cemeteries

When you click on a link...open by using the camera icon.

The site is having technical difficulties...see below!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 November 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
It's okay now...The search box should look like this:

Place
England, Yorkshire, Hull

Subjects
cemeteries

Click on the cemetery you want, then click on the camera to view the fiche.

These are burial registers not monumental Inscriptions so all deaths in Hull will be registered at  the cemeteries listed.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. How do you find them though, by year, by surname? I'll name someone who I know is in some records (the register of burials) who died in 1936, Beatrice Thornton, buried in the General Cemetery. How do I find her? She's not in these records as far as I can see.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 19 22:57 GMT (UK) »
You search through the fiche by year...keep scrolling down trying the pages until you reach the year, or, use the index and find the name and the corresponding number in the margin then go back to the burial register and search the fiche by number.
Hope this makes sense, persevere and you will get there, by trial and error, it's not perfect and It's not that user friendly though.
Carol

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 19 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Just to be clear, you can't find results by name search?

Have you had a good look through that site? The Hedon Road one seems completely haphazard, jumping from one random year to a completely different decade.
The General one doesn't contain names that I've seen in other records, so I don't know why they would be missing.

I did find one I haven't seen before in the Northern cemetery though, so it hasn't been a complete waste of time.