Author Topic: Charles Denn(e)y born 1912, look-up request, poss. Irish records, help please  (Read 1220 times)

guest259648

Person sought:
Charles Denney, birth registered 1912 Manchester, mother Denney, illegitimate birth, he was given his mother's surname.

I have a few solid facts but need more details.

Charles Denney's mother was Katie Denney, she never married. She had another illegitimate son, John Benjamin Lewis, in 1922. Katie was born and raised in Birkenhead and only went to Manchester for a short period in order to 'conceal' the birth.

Family stories say that young Charles (Charlie) Denney was informally 'adopted out' of the family in 1922 or shortly after, when John Benjamin came along, since Katie couldn't care for both children. Charlie disappeared from the family circle and nobody currently knows what happened to him.

An Ancestry member has posted up details of a Charles Denny [no 'e'], born Manchester 1912, baptised Birkenhead 1916, who married in Dublin in the 1940s and died in Dublin in (I think) the 1980s. This seems to be a good match for Charlie (even though the spelling of the surname is slightly different), but I can't contact the Ancestry member because the account hasn't been used for some years and they don't log in.

1. How might I try to verify that this Charles Denny [no 'e'] who died in Dublin is the same person as the Charles Denney I seek?
2. Can anyone check church baptisms in Birkenhead to search for a Charles Denney bapt. 1916 (where there might be a father's name logged in the register)?
3. Any other suggestions?

Thank you, I'm grateful :-)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Denn(e)y born 1912, look-up request, poss. Irish records, help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 November 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
There is a death in the Irish Independent 1981 of a Charles Denny May 18th wife Doris, buried Deans Grange.
It looks like they married 1944 so marriage cert isn't online yet. Only goes to 1943 at the moment but should be included in the next update. (Two possible Doris brides)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Denn(e)y born 1912, look-up request, poss. Irish records, help please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
The Ancestry tree you mentioned shows his wife to be Doris Morgan.  There is an obituary for her here...

https://notices.irishtimes.com/death/denny/2363996?from_mobile=1
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 November 19 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The Ancestry tree you mentioned shows his wife to be Doris Morgan.  There is an obituary for her here...

https://notices.irishtimes.com/death/denny/2363996?from_mobile=1

The maiden name is one of the brides in 1944 and one of the children's names is the same as a birth I saw in the newspaper in the 1940s
If you want to order that marriage https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
The Security cert for the site is out of date since yesterday so you can over ride to view the page or wait a day or two until they fix things
The marriage details can be found on FamilySearch index
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347
1944 Dublin North

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 November 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his exact date of birth from his birth certificate?

guest259648

« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jool, Sinann, we're gathering very useful facts about the Charles Denny in Dublin. The obit. is great because it gives children's names, who might be able to be found...
However there isn't any means yet of linking this person with Charles Denney born Manchester.

I don't have access to the Family Search site to check out the 1944 marriage details (does this show fathers' names?) - is someone able to do this please?

Chempat, yes it would be sensible to pin down this date: I did obtain Charles Denney's 1912 Manchester birth certificate but don't have it with me: by memory the birth was registered in September, mid to late...

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 November 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
No Family Search is just the index

Charles Denny
Marriage
District Dublin North
Quarter and year Jul-Sept 1944
Vol 2

Doesn't give a page number.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FY2P-CWL

Click the down arrow at Document Information, on the right. Page number is 509.

OP,
FamilySearch is free to use, you just need to register.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

guest259648

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
KG thank you - I wish I could look! I can't access Family Search: I have a very old account, password forgotten, and it won't let me open a new account, nor will it send me a password reminder without sending me a mobile phone message - but I don't use a phone! So I'm stuck, locked out. And I'm dependent on you kind folks to tell me what is there.

How best to progress this search? I need to confirm that there WAS a baptism for Charles Denney aged 3 or 4 in 1916 in Birkenhead (as per the Ancestry entry), I think this is the strongest thing to do now. There has to be a link to Birkenhead, otherwise the Irish connection to Mr Denny is very weak. But if there indeed was a Birkenhead baptism, then it's possible the man who died in Dublin in 1981 is the right person.

So: How do I find which Birkenhead church was used? (September 1912). And do we have to approach churches/vicars personally, to ask for sight of their records?