Author Topic: Hugh McGregor  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh McGregor
« on: Tuesday 26 November 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is possible ?, I've eventually trace a Hugh McGregor shoemaker to 51 high street (1935 post office directory) Glasgow, and from the wedding certificate I have, a Hugh McGregor shoemaker barony parish is likely the same person , is it possible to find the other residents at number 51 high street Glasgow for the same period ?.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McGregor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
When was the marriage you mention and who to?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
@ Carbostar, maybe the Glasgow Valuation Rolls at the Mitchell, some dates apparently better than others though?

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
If you're going to the Mitchell Library, the Registers of Electors would be better, as they include everyone registered to vote, whereas the Valuation Rolls only list heads of households.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 07:07 GMT (UK) »
CarolW
The marriage certificate is for his son Duncan McGregor's marriage to Rebecca Dennis (17 /12/1856 ) present are father Hugh McGregor shoemaker Barony Parrish, witnesses Eugene fisher & John N Young .
The marriage was in Hartlepool, Durham,
I have a pretty good account of the family tree after the marriage, sons and daughters of Duncan & Rebecca and the family's after that, but prior to the migration from Glasgow to the NE England I have very little,
For instance did Hugh leave Glasgow at the same time as His son Duncan ?, I found an entry for a Hugh McGregor committing a crime of larceny in 1856 in Hartlepool and him getting a three month sentence, I was tempted to follow the transportation route as there was a Hugh McGregor transported to Australia about the same time, but I dont think its the same Hugh ?.
No mothers name no sisters or brothers, so the entry of Hugh McGregor shoemaker in the Glasgow postal directory for 1835 ( Duncan was born 1834 ) was a fairly good clue to follow, if I could locate Duncan to No 51 aged 1year that would be brilliant, but I have a feeling that I have a long way to go,
Thanks for your reply and interest most appreciated.

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh / Forfarian
Im not aware of the Mitchell library ? But it sounds good, how do I access that ?
I have quite a bit information about the McGregors once they arrived in the NE of England about the time Duncan was in his 20's but no information at all prior to that, and only a brief mention of his father the shoemaker from Glasgow Hugh McGregor.
Thank you both for your interest and information Im sure it will lead me further down the road.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Carbostar, the Mitchell contact is,

www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell

Another possible source is the Glasgow Trades House, each of the 14 trades had their histories published, I have most of these but not, unfortunately, the "Cordiners", (shoemakers). This book will list the members of the guild & a maybe even a possible pedigree as sons generally followed their faither. You might try contacting them & ask if there were any "Children of the Mist!" listed. The Mitchell might be worth trying if they appear in the burgess rolls, as to join one of the crafts requires the applicant purchasing a burgess's ticket first.

https://www.tradeshouse.org.uk/crafts-cordiners/

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Im not aware of the Mitchell library ? But it sounds good, how do I access that ?
https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/venues/the-mitchell-library (not to be confused with https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/mitchell-library, of course).

But in the light of your later postings the date, 1935, in your first post, is clearly a typing error, so there is no point in trying the 1935 valuation rolls or the registers of electors.

Not that there would ever have been any chance of finding a young child in any trade directory, valuation roll or register of electors on any date.

Have you looked for Duncan in the 1841 and/or 1851 census?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I see that in 1861 Duncan was aged 26, an iron ship builder, born Burnparish (I assume Barony). I also see from the GRO index that the children were Salena Catherine 1857, Sarah 1859, Abel 1861, Duncan 1864, Daniel 1867, Rebecca 1869, Emma 1873, and Agnes 1878. No Hugh, so they were obviously not following the Scottish naming tradition.

In the 1881 census there is also a 4-year-old daughter Jane, but the only birth of a Jane McGregor in Sunderland in 1875-1877 is to a mother with surname Hunt. I note with passing interest that in 1871 Duncan's household includes William Hunt, 19, brother and Emma, 15, Martha, 14 and Eliza, 12, Hunt, sisters, all born Hartlepool.