Author Topic: John Gatt Napoleonic War  (Read 827 times)

Offline ShaunWADonaldson93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gatt Napoleonic War
« on: Tuesday 26 November 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some help with a great uncle, he was born in Aberbour, Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1781 he married Sarah Day who was born on the Isle of Wright in 1792, their married in 1809 at Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. There is no death record for him because it was just before salutatory registration in Scotland but there is a headstone that Sarah erected to him reading

"Erected by Sarah Day, In memory of her Husband John Gatt, who died 11th July 1854 aged 74years. He entered his Majestys naval service in 1796, and returned in 1815 to his birth place the seatown of Pennan, where he resided the remainder of his life."

I have look up military records but can't seem to find any records that fits, another relation has suggested he serviced on HMS Superb but not sure what was behind that because I can find any records for him.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gatt Napoleonic War
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Was he of Auchmedden ? and a mother named Janet/Genert?  If so, there is a  Royal Navy Allotment record dated 1800. It has little info.

Other similar records, 1805-1810, have him with a wife called Sarah, which fits.  He was an Able Seaman.

I'll look in more detail tomorrow as it's getting late but maybe others will find more for you by then.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I've just found his pension and service record in the British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service And Pension Records.
I'll look through them  and  get back to you.

Gadget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Was he of Auchmedden ? and a mother named Janet.Genet?  If so, there is a  Royal Navy Allotment record dated 1800. It has little info.

Other similar records, 1805-1810, have him with a wife called Sarah, which fits.  He was an Able Seaman.

I'll look in more detail tomorrow as it's getting late but maybe others will find more for you by then.

Gadget

He was of Pennan in the parish of Aberdour but I have just had a google and Pennan is at the foot of a cliff and at the top there is a church which is the church of Auchmedden so it is possible but I wouldn't be certain, are there any further personal details we can go on?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Apart from census, marriage and monumental inscription, I can only find the Allotment (Pay book) Records: 

Name: John Gatt; Ship's name: HMS Circe; Pay book number: SB 407; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Mother Genert; When Alloted: 1800; Remarks: Not stated.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12196357

John Gatt; Ship’s name: HMS Andromeda; Pay book number: SB 72; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Wife (name not given); When Allotted: 1812; Remarks: Discharged invalided (date not given).

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16558925

Anther allotment record of April 1811 lists him as an Able Seaman, Ship - HMS Implacable, Wife - Sarah

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Pension records show that the last ship he served on was Gladiator.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Apart from census, marriage and monumental inscription, I can only find the Allotment (Pay book) Records: 

Name: John Gatt; Ship's name: HMS Circe; Pay book number: SB 407; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Mother Genert; When Alloted: 1800; Remarks: Not stated.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12196357

John Gatt; Ship’s name: HMS Andromeda; Pay book number: SB 72; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Wife (name not given); When Allotted: 1812; Remarks: Discharged invalided (date not given).

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16558925

Anther allotment record of April 1811 lists him as an Able Seaman, Ship - HMS Implacable, Wife - Sarah

The HMS Circle wrecked 17 November 1803 so he must have served on another before he appears on the HMS Andromeda in 1812. It would be really interesting to know if he would have been at the Battle of Trafalgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Pension records show that the last ship he served on was Gladiator.

Do you have a link to the records please?