Author Topic: Stuarts of Drumlithie, Glenbervie Kincardinshire  (Read 1606 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Stuarts of Drumlithie, Glenbervie Kincardinshire
« on: Thursday 28 November 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
William Stuart/Isabella Forest Gibson m 31 Dec 1866 Drumlithie, Glenbervie and had 10 Children all born in Drumlithie.  I have all the bmd’s except for these two…

Henry Lockie Stuart b 31 Oct 1867 I have identified him (single) in every census except the 1891 (couldn’t find him) but in the 1901 he is back home in Drumlithie age 32.  What is noteworthy about the 1901 is that his occupation as House Carpenter then further down on the list there is a Jane Stuart age 22 daughter-in-law House Carpenter’s wife birthplace Glasgow no children listed. And then after that nothing again, no marriage of a Jane and variants to a Henry that matches.

Next is his brother William b 16 Feb 1878 I have him as a Joiner (Journeyman), marrying Jessie Ann Brown b 17 Feb 1880 In Glasgow.  They had a daughter Jessie b 07 Aug 1899 and a son William James John Brown b 29 Jan 1902 but James died 21 Feb 1910 and then nothing more on this family including the 1911 Census.

Some family trees say Henry died in the Boer War, I checked and there were 4 Henry’s who died, none are him. I also looked for him and his brother William in WWI, again no records that I can match to spouse or family. Others say they emigrated to Canada with the rest of the family but they didn’t. These are all accounted for including spouses, deaths and burials.

I have done both emigration/immigration searches for North America/Australia and New Zealand. 

They could have headed south or over to Ireland but so far I have found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Stuarts of Drumlithie, Glenbervie Kincardinshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 22:54 GMT (UK) »
1901 census at 261/ 5/ 6 Glenbervie Kincardine

William 57
Isabella F 51
Henry L 32
Jane 22
Alexander M 12
Arthur I 9

Birth: STUART Arthur Irvine 1891 261/ 12b Glenbervie

If these are the children of Jane and Henry, then Jane’s age must have been recorded incorrectly, surely.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

In order of appearance in the 1901 from SP at Kimberly Cottage

William
Isabella
Henry L (son) - House Carpenter
Helen (Stuart) Wason (daughter) her husband was on his way to Saskatchewan)
Alexander J (son) was written incorrectly his birth name was James Alexander
Arthur Irvine (son)
Jane (daughter in law) married to House Carpenter - b Glasgow
Henry S Wason (grandson) - 11 mo b Glasgow

So, Jane was not a born Stuart she is something else to which I am having a great deal of difficulty identifying.  I located his brother William yesterday in S Africa so Henry Lockie Stuart is the only one left I need to find.

Don

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
You've seen the birth certificates of James Alexander and Arthur Irvine, then? Are they both William and Isabella's?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,

You and I have known each other for probably close to if not over 20 years, have you ever known me not use SP?  I have them all except for Henry's marriage and death. Including the US, SK/CA and now South African records.  And yes they are all their children, even the pre martial accident.

Williamina 1866 d 1866 at 11 days and 2 months before her parents married.
Henry Lockie 1867 - ???
Alice Ann 1869 - 1957 Glasgow
Georgina Gibson 1872 - 1950 RM 493 (Rozilee aka Shellbrook SK)
Margaret 1874 - 1907 Grand Rapids, MI
William 1878 - 1936 Heidelberg, Transvaal South Africa
Helen Moir 1880 - 1960 Prince Albert, SK
Frederick 1885 - 1935 RM 493
James Alexander 1888 - 1917 WWI France.
Arthur Irvine 1891 - 1977 Edmonton, AB

Henry is not in the USA the three who looked promising I managed to trace back and eliminated; those in NZ arrived prior to 1901; Oz not there and definitely not in Canada. Not sure about Ireland, I find it a challenge to find my way around but working on it.

I have augmented searches using British Newspaper Archives, other newspaper archives, Ancestry/FindMyPast for military as well as the British Archives.  As for his marriage...every possible "J" as a spouse in SP to a Henry.  And before I forget these searches also included the given name "Harry." 

There is a Henry (not related) in the neighboring parish. That family was also engaged in construction but in a much larger scale.  BNA has many articles on both families.

And, father William died 1910 RM 493 buried Wild Rose North Cemetery Hoblein. SK
Mother died 1938 buried same next to William, her stone doesn't include him as his is on his cover which was the typical burial method of his era.

Don

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 December 19 02:56 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage?

STUART HENRY
MCNEILL JANET
644/9 494 Kelvin

Usually Jane/Jean or Janet/Jessie but there are the oddities along the way too.

I haven't time to check her out on census or a birth in Glasgow which needs looked at 1st!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 December 19 09:12 GMT (UK) »
You and I have known each other for probably close to if not over 20 years, have you ever known me not use SP? 
My apologies. But if it had been someone I didn't know, my question would have been framed, "Have you seen ....?"
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 December 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Annie

Thanks for the look but that's the Henry from Birse, his mother was Margaret Massie.

Don

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 December 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Henry who was visiting in the 1901 Census with wife Jane were from ZA.  She was Jane McIntyre illegitimate daughter of Christina McIntyre b 1878 in Glasgow.  They were married 21 Dec 1898 in Boksburg, Heidelberg however the marriage was short, Henry (aka Harry) died 05 May 1902 in Pretoria of Parasitic Dementia and Exhaustion.  No children.

William lost both his son William JB Stuart and wife Jessie Ann in 1910 in Glasgow.  James on the 12 Feb and his wife on the 08 May at 43 Westmoreland St., Glasgow.  Isabella Brown (sister) was the informant on both which leads me to believe William and daughter Jessie had remained in ZA.  William died 29 Jul 1935 in Heidelberg of Pneumonia, he never remarried.  Daughter Jessie was the informant.

Jessie married Alfred John Moir from Aberdeen on 02 May 1931 in Wynberg, Cape.  This was his second marriage, his first was to a Margaret Hart daughter of John Hart and Elizabeth Hislop.  Jessie (Stuart) Moir died 04 Jul 1937 at 48 Kitchener Ave Bezuidenhout of Diabetes and Chronic Alcoholism. No children.

Done