Author Topic: Help needed to check a puzzling marriage entry  (Read 611 times)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed to check a puzzling marriage entry
« on: Friday 29 November 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Some years ago I went through the register of Newcastle St Andrew, noting the Morton/Murton marriages. Recently I see that Family Search has a marriage that isn't on my list

Edward Morton m Eliz. Stark 21 Nov 1756 St Andrew's, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland

I wonder if some kind person could check the microfilm of the original register and let me know if this marriage is genuine?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Morton

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to check a puzzling marriage entry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 November 19 13:22 GMT (UK) »
It's taken from microfilm 1564928, St Andrew parish registers, item 3 p 17

But it's not indexed on FamilySearch in their Northumberland, Parish Registers, 1538-1950, from new digital images, it ought to be in Marriages and banns, 1754-1766 (DGS number 103271539)

But! Looking for another November marriage from the digital set, Roger Wardell is in there, 16 Nov 1756, married to Ann Clark

And then looking for Roger and Ann in the records indexed from the microfilm, there are two entries, the 16th November one and also
Roger Wardale and Ann Clark, 14 Nov 1756
1564928 item 3 p 17 (same as Morton - Stark)

14 Nov, 21 Nov 1756, were Sundays so I suspect that the record you have seen might be a banns entry. Though they are not listed as being on the film in their catalogue.

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 November 19 23:30 GMT (UK) »
This seems to happen a lot. I have a marriage licence issued in 1759, no marriage and yet the couple immediately start baptising a string of children under the married name.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 November 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Some years ago I went through the register of Newcastle St Andrew, noting the Morton/Murton marriages. Recently I see that Family Search has a marriage that isn't on my list

Edward Morton m Eliz. Stark 21 Nov 1756 St Andrew's, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland

Was it an actual IGI entry or User Submitted which may answer your question?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 November 19 00:14 GMT (UK) »
It's taken from microfilm 1564928, St Andrew parish registers, item 3 p 17

Microfilm or digital images, and even if does turn out to be banns it would still be interesting to see the record in case there is some more info, i.e. was one of them of another parish. Hopefully someone will be able to look it up.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 November 19 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Happy to check this out on Wednesday if no-one has done it by then

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 November 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look at this one today. There is a banns entry for a single date, but it has a line through crossing it out. Since there is no subsequent publication of banns on the following two weeks it would appear that some event prevented the marriage from taking place.

Additional info: Edward is of the parish of St. John and Elizabeth is of this parish.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn