Author Topic: Death of Thomas Arrowsmith  (Read 1644 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas Arrowsmith
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
You need to spend some money and get the marriage certificate of Violet, for starters.

As Rosie has pointed out, the 1939 was updated for much longer than 1945. Violet may also not tell the truth on 1939, and on next marriage certificate, but you do not know that without the certificate.

What would be good would be a marriage certificate of one of his children, with his signature as a witness.

If you have discarded all the deaths with age in the correct range for birth in 1882, then someone has given incorrect information on the death certificate, or he has disappeared abroad.

Does he have to be the Father of all those children, or could he have disappeared before the last one?  Did he give the information for that certificate? (There was an 8 year gap of births).

Why should his death only go up to 1982- people do live beyond 100.  Has he got a war record?

Have you checked ER's for 1920's and 1930's to see if he and wife are at same address?

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 08:54 GMT (UK) »
the original image of the 1939 shows the original ink as "married"

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
You have put :

'Deaths Jun 1955   Cox Violet    age 73    Bolton 10b614'

this would put her birth as 1882, but the 1939 has her as born 1884, so you already have some contradictory information for your ancestors.

As regards the 1939, she claimed to be married in 1939. He was not in the household on that day.  If he has bunked off, whereabouts unknown, or under different name living locally, how would she know if he is dead or alive?

What is his exact date of birth - then you can search the 1939 for him that way?

Added:
On 1911 she is 24, so born 1887/6, so very different from age at death.

What is Violet's Father's name from the marriage certificate, as the most likely Violet I can see, if born Bolton, was in 1885, and no sign of a father in 1891 or 1901?

Added:
Is he Peter from West Houghton, in 1881?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
the original image of the 1939 shows the original ink as "married"

That does not prove that the information was accurate.  There are many discrepancies on the 1939 some of which have altered later if discovered.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Now one can see all the problems I have faced doing this tree........

Yes informants and liars exist on documents , and that has been the challenge all the way through this lineage...........    however, I dont need reminding of the obscurities that we all face doing fh.....and I am in good faith considering and re-considering everything put forward......

Yes she is of Peter Hodkinson and Alice Bradley...Yes the hubbie is absent in 1891 and where the heck does he go?.... and Violet has a lot of siblings.....    the 4th child of Thomas and Violet is confirmed even though the gap is huge...... yes I agree the informant on Violets death is mathematically incorrect and I agree that some folk live past 100 and yes given Thomas had a child that ended up in a mental institution he might have up and walked which caused a seperation/divorce or other intrinsic problem.....   this brickwall has plagued me for sometime as like the owner of the tree on ancestry found.......    and what annoys me more than anything is that the only person who could have solved the mystery being my late grandfather was such a mungrel of a man that he alienated everyone in the whole family including my fathers lines..

I did go through every war record i could find on anc & FindMyPast to no avail

Q.  How does one living in Australia find a divorce record for Lancashire AFTER 1905 ?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Q.  How does one living in Australia find a divorce record for Lancashire AFTER 1905 ?

Start here:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

You are only speculating that she was divorced, the marriage certificate for Violet & John Cox should give her 'status' at that time. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 08:33 GMT (UK) »
You have put:

'the 4th child of Thomas and Violet is confirmed even though the gap is huge...... '

How is it confirmed - the assumption is that the father is the husband of the mother unless told otherwise?

I would be interested in the ER's for the 1939 address in previous year to see who is recorded there with Violet, or where she was in the 1930's.

If he was still alive in 1939, then he should show on the register, which is why you need his birth date to help to  find him.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 December 19 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in B O L T O N electoral rolls as well HOWEVER anc only has only Liverpool so unless I am missing something that avenue is a waste of time.

I would like to state I do actually have some of the certificates IE the last born child......