Author Topic: Cannot find Award entry in Gazette  (Read 636 times)

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannot find Award entry in Gazette
« on: Sunday 01 December 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find an Award entry in  Gazette or suppliments......what am I doing wrong. Its a while since I have used them.
 I am searching for a friend, We know Frederick George Warwick served in WW1 and WW2 in the Navy. I have seen a copy of his certificate of service in the Navy which says he was awarded BEM 22nd March 1941.A copy of a letter from Whitehall which anotes his name with BEM, letter is dated Jan 1945. There is a copy of recommendation for the George Medal dated 1940 and a newspaper article that said he had been awarded "the medal of the military division of the OBE " for rendering enemy mines harmless, dated March 1941.
     Has any one any suggestions please?
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find Award entry in Gazette
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 19 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I found the same with one of mine!! I knew that they had an award for two different things and could only find one on the search when searching by name. It turns out that when the gazette issue I needed was scanned to generate the searchable text it made an awful job of it.

I did find the entry in the gazette eventually but I had to go through the issues dated near when I thought it should be page at a time and read them very carefully. I found the search date totally by chance. William Harvie Thomson was a pilot (and the record that appears on search is for the polar medal in 1953) and his DSC in 1944 doesn't come up. However.... I discovered that, at the time, Flight magazine published lists of awards to air personnel and they also have an on-line archive. The publication in Flight was early July 1944 so I was finally able to find the Gazette record in mid June 1944.

Since you have an award date for the BEM of March 1941 you might be able to find it by hand. I did have a play but it wasn't coming up on any of the issues I looked at (searching for "British empire medal" got the correct section). Good Luck  ;D
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 19 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 December 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
The entry that Cathy finds is the BEM award.  The newspaper article is referring to that award, not to another one if your friend thought that.  The BEM is an award in the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire which the newspaper has shortened to OBE.

The recommendation for a GM may well have resulted in the BEM.  The GM was primarily a civilian award and if he was awarded it he would have post nominal letters.  Was he serving when that recommendation was made?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 December 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Well done Cathy!! that's him!!
    I looked at so many records yesterday in the time I had, particularly the ones for March 1941.
 i found it frustrating to have each page download before reading it. I better brush up on my search techniques before I try the gazette again!!

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 December 19 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes MaxD, he was serving when the recommendation was made.