Author Topic: Boyd/Aitken in Slamannan/Greengairs  (Read 871 times)

Offline Glas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyd/Aitken in Slamannan/Greengairs
« on: Wednesday 04 December 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hope you folks can help me out a bit..

I've managed to get my family name back to 1750 in Slamannan.  I hit a bit of a wall in the mid 1800s as my great-great-grandfather listed a woman as his mother on his wedding entry, who doesn't exist.  Before last weekend, that part of my tree read;

John Boyd (b.1809) + Janet Allan
John Boyd (b.1835) + Margaret Wylie
John Boyd (b.1862) + Anne Taylor

There were actually 4 John Boyds born between 1860-1870 in Slamannan.  The John Boyd (b.1862) is the son of John Boyd (b.1835) and Helen Carlisle, and I found that he subsequently died in 1867 aged 5.  His parents then had another John Boyd in 1870.  A third John Boyd (b.1865) appears to be from an unrelated family (I have his birth entry and the parents names don't match anywhere).

The fourth John Boyd, my actual great-great-grandfather was actually born John Aitken in 1860, the son of Janet Boyd (1837-1864).  I have him on the 1861 census living with his mother and grandparents in Slamannan.  He was an illegitimate child, and his mother won a paternity case at Airdrie Sheriff Court for aliment in 1862 against a George Aitken, a grocer from Greengairs.  I have an extract decree from the case but his details are scant.  It did mention he was undergoing sequestration at the time, and his trustee was a George Gentles from Airdrie but no other details.

I did find one census entry in 1861 for an (apparently) unmarried George Aitken, grocer, in Greengairs but other than that, I can't get any information on him.  I have tried writing to the NRS with details of his sequestration to see if they can glean any further info that might help, but I've heard nothing yet.

Any suggestions?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami (1924-2020)
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd/Aitken in Slamannan/Greengairs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi glas

Just adding for background here a possible1861 entry. Is this the one you mention:

George Aitken 40 Coal Master Spirit Dealer & Grocer b. New Monkland, Lanark
John Rankin 19 nephew Shopkeeper (grocer) b. New Monkland, Lanark
Catherine McGarie 29 servant
James Haldan 45 visitor

Address:1060 (1) First Or West Row, New Monkland

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami (1924-2020)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the original image for the 1861 census? I think George was married possibly, in 1850 to an Isabella Hill (Parish entry from 1850 for the marriage/banns will show on Scotlands People). There was also at least one daughter www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTG9-FJ5 Also a son Robert www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQP5-JLG

1851 census entry:

George Aitkin 30 coal master b. New Monkland
Isabella Aitkin 22 wife b. New Monkland

Address Shank, New Monkland

Likely entry for Isabella Hill/Aitken's death on SP at the age of 28 in 1857 in New Monkland.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami (1924-2020)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
George Aitken seems to be consistent with a birth year c. 1821.

Have you looked for possible deaths? There is this one for example:

1880 George Aitken, aged 59. Death in New Monkland.

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
John Rankin 19 nephew Shopkeeper (grocer) b. Shopkeeper (grocer) b. New Monkland, Lanark
John Rankin, son of Robert Rankin and Elisabeth Aitkin, was baptised in New Monkland on 2 April 1842.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami (1924-2020)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Just seen a family tree for daughter Isabella Hill Aitken www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/118570092/person/320175957840/facts (you need a subs to view).

Always best to use these trees as possible clues and aim to follow up yourself through official documents.

They do show the info we have so far above. In addition, you mentioned the names of George Gentles in Airdrie earlier re George's bankruptcy. Apparantly, George's mother was a Jean Gentles so maybe he connects to that side of the family?

Isabella Hill Aitken looks to be with maternal grandparents in 1861/71 in Kirkintilloch, Dumbartonshire. Son Robert Aitken also there in 1871. In 1861, Robert was with his paternal grandparents in New Monkland.

Isabella married in 1875 to a John Goodwin it seems.

Some possible areas to follow up on there.

Monica

Offline Glas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 December 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick scan of the replies.  So much great info, thank you.  I'll update tomorrow and answer any queries.

Offline Glas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Just been able to look through all of the information, thank you Monica and Forfarian.  I'm 99% sure this is the same person, the Jean Gentles ties it in very nicely to what I have.

I'm guessing George Gentles will be either a cousin or an uncle.  He is also an Auctioneer which, I guess in those days, somehow qualified you to act as a trustee! 

I've messaged the owner of the tree on Ancestry (my wife has a full sub) to see if they have anything else and to offer up the info I have, but I can't see how it can be wrong.  I guess only a DNA would give me 100% confirmation, but this info is as close a match as I'll get til I can get one.

Thank you once again, much appreciated.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing George Gentles will be either a cousin or an uncle.  He is also an Auctioneer which, I guess in those days, somehow qualified you to act as a trustee!
The full occupation is very often auctioneer and valuer, and it's fairly common to find inventories valued by the local auctioneer. So being an auctioneer was an occupation that relied heavily on being trusted by others in the community.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith