Author Topic: Thomas O'CONNELL, born 1846, Lancashire  (Read 598 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas O'CONNELL, born 1846, Lancashire
« on: Friday 06 December 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thomas O'CONNELL was admitted to the Broadmoor Hospital identified as a criminal on 09/03/1864.    I have looked for records of patients, discharged, died etc., with no success.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you,

BAC3

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O'CONNELL, born 1846, Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 December 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
He's on the Uk admission of lunatics index
Thomas O'Connell admitted  9 March 1864 Broadmoor died 18th Oct 1867.

The admission and discharge records for the Hospital 1863-1965 are at Berkshire Archives

Ciderdrinker

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 December 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, ciderdrinker, I am extremely grateful.

However, there is one detail that confuses me.........he was admitted to Broadmoor from the Bethlem Royal Hospital on 09/03/1864 (FindMyPast), yet "Lunacy Patients" indicates Intitution (sic) Place: Pembrokeshire, Wales.  Strange ???

BAC3

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
That might mean he was originally sent to or was at Pembrokeshire then transferred to Bethlem then on to Broadmoor which was only built in the early 1860s so he would have been one of the early patients accommodated there.  Broadmoor was built especially as a special 'Criminal Lunatic Asylum' to house the criminally insane who had committed criminal offences away from patients who were mentally ill but who hadn't committed any criminal offence.

Broadmoor had its own cemetery and you might find his burial plot in the papers at Berkshire Archives if not and you're interested then a letter to Broadmoor Hospital might be worth a try.

I worked on the redevelopment of the hospital between 1985 and 1995 and I know that at that time descendants of patients could obtain such information.  Individual grave markers were not used, the original cemetery and its extension were simply grassed over and respectfully well maintained.  Considerable changes have occurred at the hospital since I left there so I don't know what happens now regarding requests for information from relatives.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 December 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening artifis,

Thank you for your post, interesting, I am very grateful.

Thomas O'CONNELL was sentenced on 19/04/1853 at KIrkdale (Lancaster) Sessions to transportation for 10 years.   After a series of moves from Kirkdale Gaol, Millbank Prison and eventually Parkhurst Prison on 22/08/1853 he was discharged from the latter on 01/04/1858 to Bethlem Royal Hospital.   On 09/03/1864 he was subsequently transferred to Broadmoor.

Trawling through a substantial series of "prison reports" available on FindMyPast I found an entry which states:   Thomas O'CONNELL Died 18/10/1867 Rainhill Asylum, Merseyside.   I was under the impression he died in Broadmoor and can find no evidence that he was removed to Rainhill Asylum. :o

I am confused!!   Any help please.

BAC3

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 December 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
And me!
I can't find his death registered in Dec qtr 1867 any where.
Sorry
Ciderdrinker

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 December 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
How very confusing BAC3. 

I would suggest contacting the Berkshire Archives which is located in Coley Avenue in Reading and asking them if they have the full admissions and discharge records for Broadmoor, particularly for the period you are interested in.

If they do then it might be worth asking them for a quote to look up the records you're interested in, as you know the admission date that would enable them to find the correct treatment file quickly which would show not only the reason for his admission but also why he was transferred to Rainhill Asylum if that was the case.  I'd suggest treating the FindMyPast information with caution until you know for certain how long his stay at Broadmoor was.

I used the research facility at the Berkshire Archives earlier this year and they were very reasonable charge wise and didn't set a minimum time even if the look up would have taken them less time.  I set out the background to my enquiry and it obviously intrigued the archivist who checked for me judging by her report.  I'd suggest doing the same for your Thomas.

Unfortunately I've lost contact with the former Director of Security and Assistant Director of Nursing at Broadmoor otherwise I'd ask him to check their records for me.

Another thought occurs to me and that would be to get a copy of his death certificate, for £7 for a PDF copy from the GRO that might be a good spend and resolve some issues .  I think that's the route I'd take.  I was typing this when Ciderdrinker posted.  :)

Let me know if you do find out he did in fact die at Broadmoor and I can send you a photo or two I have of the cemeteries there if you'd like that.  If the Berks Archives do find his admission and medical records they should show which ward block he was accommodated in and I should be able to identify which one that was - they changed the names a few times - and identify that on readily available aerial photographs.

At one time Broadmoor had its own operating theatre and surgeons came from one or other of the nearby large hospitals to operate on patients when necessary.  It also had a separate nursing ward(s) to treat patients with physical illnesses that couldn't be treated on their regular ward.  If Thomas was discharged for physical illness reasons I would be quite surprised as Broadmoor being newly built would have been able to look after him as well if not better than other Asylums.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 December 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Thomas' death registration, I have a thought at the back of my mind that patients at places such as Broadmoor didn't have their deaths registered, certainly in its early days, but that may well be wrong, its 24+ years since I worked at Broadmoor and I would have been told that nearer 1985 when I started there rather than later.  Afraid my memories not as good as it was.  Might be worth a query on here, perhaps in the general section or else Google searches? 

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 December 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello ciderdrinker and artifis,

I think I have solved the enigma that was Thomas O'CONNELL:

(1)   He was discharged from Parkhurst Prison to the Bethlehem Royal Hospital on 01/04/1858;
(2)   Transferred from Bethlehem to Broadmoor 09/03/1864;
(3)   Transferred from Broadmoor to the Rainhill Asylum 18/10/1867;
(4)   Transferred from Rainhill to the Whittingham Hospital, Preston, on 19/06/1873: and
(5)   He died at Whittingham on 01/06/1875.

Information for (5) evidenced by Lunacy Patients Registers, Class: MH94, Piece: 22 and GRO 1875, J Quarter in PRESTON, Volume O8E, page 435.

Thank you for all your help: I really am grateful.

BAC3