Author Topic: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC  (Read 1425 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I am looking for the birth, parents, etc, for Mary Francis Sloan, born 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, Michigan. She died as [Catholic] Sister Mary Agatha Sloan, December 18, 2005, in Charleston, South Carolina. The exact date and place of birth is from her obituary.

She is living with James and Ellen T (Prunty) Sloan in Charleston in 1930, age 17, born in Michigan, father in Ireland, mother in Michigan.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SPHP-76D

When Ellen (Prunty) Sloan died, Sis M. Agatha Sloan was her informant, and was callled her niece.

If she is a true niece of James Sloan, then Mary Francis' father could be named John, Patrick, William, or Joseph, all born in Liverpool, England, between 1855 and 1865, and the 1930 census is incorrect regarding her father's birthplace.

-------
What I already have:
1) Mary Francis Agatha Sloan's online obituary, which names nieces and nephews. I couldn't find a Sloan connection there.

https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/charleston/16044677

2) Ellen and James Sloan's death records and obituaries. Ellen's obituary names nieces and nephews including Mary Francis. But the others are on the Prunty side.

3) James Sloan's baptism and that of 5 siblings in Liverpool, along with their parents' church marriage record, and probable 1861 census.

Thank you,
Ed H

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 December 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Could you list all the siblings of James Sloan for us? We might have some luck determining if any of them were living in Michigan around 1912.

The children listed as nieces/nephews may not have been Sloans if Mary had half-siblings.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K49M-26R
 - Nick Minarich, possible father of some of the listed nieces/nephews, was born in Michigan
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL9S-41VF
 - specifically Hermansville

I'm also having trouble finding Nick/Nicholas on the census.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/celia-montalbano-obituary?pid=2653405
 - Celia Montalbano nee Minarich listed as "Dear sister of Sister Mary Agatha O.L.M."

Ditto for her for earlier censuses or parents... :(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 December 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Could you list all the siblings of James Sloan for us? We might have some luck determining if any of them were living in Michigan around 1912.

The children listed as nieces/nephews may not have been Sloans if Mary had half-siblings.

Thank you for responding, I should have included them. All baptized in Liverpool:

John Sloan, born 18 April 1855
Patrick Sloan, b 15 November 1856
William Sloan, b 16 November 1863
Joseph Sloan, b 20 December 1865

There was also a Thomas Sloan, birth registered March Quarter of 1858, in West Derby and Toxteth Park, but I couldn't find him on the GRO page, so I don't know his mother's maiden name. I didn't find a baptism record for him, though.

---
And I hadn't thought of half-siblings for Mary Francis Agatha Sloan.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 December 19 18:20 GMT (UK) »

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/celia-montalbano-obituary?pid=2653405
 - Celia Montalbano nee Minarich listed as "Dear sister of Sister Mary Agatha O.L.M."

Ditto for her for earlier censuses or parents... :(

my notes say that Celia's parents are
John Minarich (14 Mar 1903, Bellefonte PA - )
      both of his parents were born in Austria/Croatian
  + Helen Groarke (26 Feb 1898, Cloontubrid, Mayo IRE - 1966, Chicago)
      her parents: Pat Groarke and Catherine Dunne

They are rough notes. I will go back and get the sources, now that I am finding some more information about the family and the Hermansville location.

Celia's sister Mary Ann might have been called a niece in Sister M Agatha's obituary, or else they got Mary Ann's daughter's name wrong. Here is Mary (Minarich) Dausinas' obituary. She had no daughter Mary.  I can't name the one daughter's real name, because she is probably living.

https://legacy.suntimes.com/obituaries/chicagosuntimes/obituary.aspx?n=mary-a-dausinas&pid=20031786&fhid=2150

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 December 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at Helen Groarke's information, she was older than her husband. If she was actually even older than that, she could have married a Sloan first. Her parents' names come from the Civil Registration in Ireland, if I remember right.

The Sloans were not from Mayo, and as mentioned, had come through Liverpool before the US.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 December 19 19:10 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security application for Celia Jean Minarich/Dosen/Montalbano b. 16 Dec 1913 Whiting Lake, Indiana and died 26 Sep. 2004 lists her parents as John Minarich and Mary Krazovich.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 December 19 01:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a Celia Veronica Minarich who was born 14 Oct 1935 in Chicago and died Aug 1982 who was the daughter of John Minarich & Helen Orourke (maybe Groarke was a mistranscription of Oroarke?) per her Social Security application.  Her death records are under the name Celia Ruzicka, and she died in Chicago. 

Perhaps there are two different Celia Minarichs who are getting confused for each other?

Looks like this was the death for Celia Ruzicka - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MJ-B44B  There are various birth & death records on Family Search for this family that have the mother as Hellen/Helen or Ellen O'Rourke.  This looks like John & Helen's marriage - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q21V-W62J

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 December 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a Celia Veronica Minarich who was born 14 Oct 1935 in Chicago and died Aug 1982 who was the daughter of John Minarich & Helen Orourke (maybe Groarke was a mistranscription of Oroarke?) per her Social Security application.  Her death records are under the name Celia Ruzicka, and she died in Chicago. 

Perhaps there are two different Celia Minarichs who are getting confused for each other?

My mistake, there were 2 Celia's, aunt and niece to each other.
Helen (Groarke) Minarich's petition for naturalization named 5 daughters including

Mary, b August 24, 1931
Celia, b October 14, 1935

Helen's daughter Mary is the "Mary Dausinas of Illinois" mentioned as a niece in Mary Francis (Sister Mary Agatha) Sloan's obituary.

The Celia (Minarich) Montalbano (Reply #1) whose obituary said she was the  "Dear sister of Sister Mary Agatha O.L.M." was a generation earlier, the daughter of John Minarich/Yunko Mlinaric + Mary Krazovich/Krznarich.

[Groarke is the correct spelling. It is on her petition as Groarke, and I have seen her birth record. I came across that name when doing my O'Rourke side.]

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 December 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
After further research yesterday ...
The family of John Mlinaric/Minarich and Mary Krazovich/Krznarich arrived in Menominee County, Michigan, between 1908 and 1910, and were in Whiting, Lake County, Indiana, by 1913, when daughter Celia was born.

Here they are in 1910, before Nick and Celia was born. The oldest son, John, was the husband of Helen Groarke. Evano is with John and Helen in 1930.

1910 Census, Meyer, Menominee County, Michigan
April 27, 1910
[indexed as Mauch. name looks like Mlrich with a few unreadable letters above the "l"]

John Mlrich, 39, married 1x, for 10 years, born in Austria (Croatian), parents also, arrived 1890, naturalized, speaks English, laborer, lumber mill
Mary Mlrich, 30, married 1x, for 10 years, 6 children, 5 alive, born in Austria (Croatian), parents also, arrived 1898, speaks Croatian
John Mlrich, 8, born in Pennsylvania
Joseph Mlrich, 7, born in Pennsylvania
Rosa Mlrich, 3, born in Pennsylvania
Evano Mlrich, 1, born in Pennsylvania
Stephen Mlrich, 2m, born in Michigan

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLR8-DQV

------------
John Minarich/Mlinaric's death in Indiana in 1915:

Indiana Death Certificates
April 24, 1915
John Mlinarich
address 401 Stuber, Whiting, Lake County
married, age 48, a laborer
born in Harvatia/Horvatia, Austria
father: Matej Mlinarich, same birthplace
mother: Marey Karbich, same birthplace
informant: Marey Mlinarich, Whiting
cause: typhoid fever
buried: St John's Cemetery, Hammond, Indiana, April 26, 1915

[I found it on ancestry, it might be on familysearch, I didn't look]

-----------
1920 John's wife Mary Krazovich/Krznarich with her second husband, and some children, including John and Celia:

1920 Census, Whiting, Indiana
January 5, 1920
at 312 119th Street

Bob Paradzina, 33, arrived 1913, papers pending, born in Austria (Croatian), parents also, stiltz cleaner, Standard Oil
Mary Paradzina, 40, unknown when arrived, alien, born in Austria (Croatian), parents also
John Mlynarycz, 17, son, single, born in Pennsylvania, shipbuilder, shipyard
Rose Mlynarycz, 12, daughter, born in Pennsylvania
Cecilia Mlynarycz, 6, born in Indiana
Frank Mlynarycz, 4, born in Indiana

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFWW-ZXV

--------------
So the family was only in the Hermanville, Michigan, area for 4 or 5 years. During that time, presumably, they became close enough to Mary Francis Sloan, born 1912, in Hermanville, to call her a sister and for her to call their children nieces and nephews.

We have found five of the nieces and nephews mentioned in Mary Francis (Sister M Agatha) Sloan's obituary, and they are all grandchildren of John Minarich/Mlinaric   + Mary Krazovich/Krznarich. So this is definitely the right place for me to look.

I haven't found Mary Francis or Nick Minarich yet in 1920, it was getting late last night. I'm thinking she and the missing Minarich children are in an orphanage or home for children somewhere. - Also I plan to browse that 1910 Meyer, Michigan, census for Sloans.

Thank you everyone for the help.