Author Topic: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC  (Read 1424 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 December 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
In Nick's death notice he has a middle initial "F" listed.

Chicago Tribune
Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, April 20, 1968 - Page 126

Death notice: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/40260728/nicholas_minarich_death_notice/

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Francis Sloan, b 4 Oct 1912, Hermansville, MI, d 18 Dec 2005, Charleston SC
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 December 19 21:35 GMT (UK) »
An obituary for Rose Grosner, who died in Indiana in 1965, lists Sister Mary Agatha of Charleston, South Carolina as her sister.  Brothers listed were 3 Minarichs, and other sister was Mrs. Cecelia Montalvani.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 December 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Problem solved. From the Beck, Lund, Nechvatal, Mlinaric Tree at ancestry.com
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/151598239/person/352097256895/facts

Mary Mlinaric (Minerick)
1912–
Birth 4 OCT 1912
Death Unknown

Fact Details
Orphaned at age 7 to the St. Vincent Orphanage. At age 8 she was given to Janes and Ellen Sloan.

---------
The tree has nothing else on her. So it looks like the Sloans in South Carolina adopted her in a way, but she kept in touch with her siblings.

---------
For those interested,
This is the way she shows up on the 1930 Census, with the Sloans:
1930 Census, Charleston SC
Apr 1, 1930
at 315 East Bay
does not own a radio

James Sloan, 69, married 1st at 39, born in England, parents in Ireland, arrived 1887, naturalized, gear man, shipyard
Ellen Teresa Sloan, 65, married 1st at 35, born in South Carolina, parents in Ireland, no occupation
Mary Francis Sloan, niece, 17, single, born in Michigan, father in Ireland, mother in Michigan, stenographer, insurance office

-----
and in Ellen's obituary:
Charleston News and Courier, December 19, 1949
Mrs Ellen Prunty Sloan, widow of James Patrick Sloan, of 315 East Bay Street, died today at a local infirmary.
Surviving are ... four nieces ... Sister M Agatha, of Highston, N.J.

-----------
And I found this along the way, from a grandchild of Nick Minarich:

"Back in 1982 when I was 13 years old, I went with my parents to a big Minarich family reunion in upper peninsula Michigan (above Wisconsin) in a town called Hermansville.

"My grandfather Nicholas was born circa 1911 (he never was quite sure of the year he was born!) and was one of some large number of 9(?) kids ...

"My immediate grandfather was unfortunately orphaned at a relatively young age, and it was his older sister Mary who ensured that the siblings, who were each placed in separate homes, all remained more or less 'in touch' with each other (Mary became a nun at age 15 and became ordained, if that's the right word, as 'Sister Agatha'). "

http://genealogyforum.katarincic.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=114

--------
I might get in touch with the tree manager and/or the poster at genealogyforum and complete their records on Mary Francis (Sis. M. Agatha) Minarich Sloan.

-------------
Thank you to everyone for the help which got me to focus on this Minarich family.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 December 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I might get in touch with the tree manager and/or the poster at genealogyforum and complete their records on Mary Francis (Sis. M. Agatha) Minarich Sloan.
I decided to let ancestry.com fend for itself, so here is a little more information about Mary Minarich/Sis M Agatha Sloan, in case a family member searches and finds this thread.

US Public Records - no date
Name: Mary F Sloan
Birth Date: 4 Oct 1912
Address: 424 Fort Johnson Rd
Residence Place: Charleston, South Carolina, USA
address of Sisters of Mercy (from Google)

------------
U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014
Name: Mary Agatha Sloan
Social Security Number: 250-96-9533
Birth Date: 4 Oct 1912
Issue year: 1968
Issue State: South Carolina
Last Residence: 29422, Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina
Death Date: 18 Dec 2005

------------
Sr Mary Agatha Sloan
Birth    1912
Death    2005 (aged 92–93)
Burial    Holy Cross Cemetery
James Island, Charleston County, South Carolina, USA
Memorial ID    33026353

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/33026353

---
Thanks again to all.

Offline SueBeeMin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 April 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
I am the grandaughter of Nicholas Minarich (Mary Francis/Sister Agatha Sloan Minarich) who wrote the article about visiting Hermansville, MI with my family - including my great aunt - Sister Mary Agatha - whom we drove back to Chicago with us - for a reunion when I was 13 in 1984.

It seems in reading the thread that some folks may want to know about her parents/siblings, and I DO have a family tree that I wrote down AT and from that visit all the way back in 1984.  I have also found the original spelling and pronunciation of our last name (with special characters - will try to find so I can copy and paste here).

Firstly, the original, Croatian family name is as follows: 

So here it is:

The original Croatian name is 'Mlinacic' (special foreign character marks above both 'c's', both different): like the accent 'egiu' from the French 'a' on the first 'c,' and like a small 'u' over the second 'c.'  I learned this from someone who was directly from that region of the world what the original spelling is, and the meaning is the English equivalent of "Miller.")

Mary Francis Sloan's parents names were:  Mary Mlinacic - maiden name Krznarich, and John ('Yunko' in Croatian) Mlinacic.

Her siblings - in birth order - were:  John, Rose, Ivan, Joseph, Nicholas, Stephen, herself (Mary), Cecelia, Frank, and 'infant' (unnamed).

I hope this helps!

PS - I had absolutely no idea as to the extent of her service to the public and God in establishing and managing the entire Charleston, SC Archdiocese schools in that area.  I'm very grateful to have had such a giving, impactful (to the community and other peoples' lives) and wonderful Great Aunt.  I wish I had known her better! 

What I can say is that she was brilliant.  And I was amazed even at age ~11-12 that she could mentally transpose and play a full (liturgical) piece on piano in any key, at will! 

God Bless you, Sister Mary Agatha!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 April 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying.
I had the hardest time figuring out where Mary Francis "Sloan" came from, because I was coming at it from the Sloan side. Your post at genealogyforum helped immensely.
Besides all that she did with the school system, she helped keep her family together which must have encouraged them in their lives.

Here is a bit more on James Sloan besides what has already been posted above, if you are interested. And I will post the picture that went with his obit.

------
James Patrick spent much of his early life at sea, dating his immigration into the United States at 1887. He was naturalized in 1896, and married Ellen Theresa Prunty, in Charleston, South Carolina, on November 30, 1902. Ellen was born in South Carolina to parents born in Ireland. James worked for the Clyde-Mallory Steamship Company in their shipyard. He died February 28, 1946, in Charleston. He and Ellen had no children.