Author Topic: Coen Casey family connection Ballymoe  (Read 2258 times)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
Coen Casey family connection Ballymoe
« on: Tuesday 10 December 19 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about step-grandmother Sarah Casey Walsh (about 1863-1937.)  She was born in Ireland and died in Minnesota, USA.  There are two letters that survive written by Michael J Coen of Leamore to his dear sister and signed your brother.  (I don't know how Michael Coen and Sarah Casey are brother and sister unless there was a second marriage involved.)  Summaries of the letters follow:
1913 - refers to wife Anne, daughter Bee, and sons as well as Sarah's husband Jeremiah Walsh.  He writes about someone named Anne who is in the hospital.  The Sister who has charge of Anne is a daughter of James McLoughlius of Castlerea.  He also writes that Mrs. Casey has died and from what he wrote she may be related to the Anne in the hospital.
1917 - He got a new place just opposite Folliards Gate and is building a new house that will be the best in Leamore.  There was an exchange of property with John. (He has a son John but am not sure if that is the John in the letter.)  John had some land Sarah gave him which he exchanged for Michael's old place.  Sarah's old place went to the Caseys.
Michael J Coen of Leamore, Ballymoe, died 20 Nov 1931, aged 78 years and was interred in Ballintubber Cemetery.
Michael's wife Anne died November 1913.  Solemn Requiem High Mass was held at St Bride's Church, Ballintubber, with internment in the family burial ground, Ballintubber.  (I believe it might be spelled Ballintober today.)
I found a baptism Microfilm 04618/05 p. 33 Ballintubber and Ballymoe that I'm not sure is correct but the date matches age at death.
18 Feb 1853 Michael Coen Johannis Coen et Maria Casserly
Any assistance anyone could offer to solve this connection would be greatly appreciated.  I will be visiting Ireland in May 2020 and plan to spend a couple of days in Ballymoe area.  If there are records available I could check, please let me know.
Thank you
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coen Casey family connection Ballymoe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Leamore is in Co. Roscommon, not Galway. (You might want to ask the Moderators to move this to the Roscommon board).

Michael Coen married Ann Cooney on 6.2.1882. His father’s name on the marriage certificate was James Coen.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Ann Coen’s death at Leamore on 21.11.1913, aged 58:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1913/05316/4479269.pdf

Family in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Ballintober/Leamore/1662845/

And 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Ballintober/Leamore/761750/

Note from the census, Michael and Ann had 5 children of whom 3 were still alive at that time. All single. Daughter Bee in the letter looks likely to be Bridget.

Griffiths Valuation for 1857 lists 7 farms in Leamore. John Cowan (sic) had plot 5 which was a farmhouse and just under 14 acres, plus a fifth share of plot 8 which was 11 acres.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
Elwyn

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coen Casey family connection Ballymoe/Ballintubber
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This looks like Michael in 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Ballintober/Leamore/761750/

His wife Ann states she has been married 30 yrs so this looks like the marriage

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10960/8006292.pdf

Did your grandmother marry in Ireland or US?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I Just saw this thread and have replied on the other thread
Threads merged and placed on Roscommon board.

Information repeated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi fruitlady

To help search a little more can you confirm what I am presuming!
(1) that you believed Sarah's maiden name was something other than COEN
(2) that you think it is CASEY? why? is it on children's birth records etc?

When did she marry Jeremiah WALSH and have you seen this record for more information?

"I found a baptism Microfilm 04618/05 p. 33 Ballintubber and Ballymoe that I'm not sure is correct but the date matches age at death.
18 Feb 1853 Michael Coen Johannis Coen et Maria Casserly"
This is the Michael COEN who married Ann COONEY on Feb 06 1882 in Castleplunkett
The Church Marriage record has both parent's names recorded
John COEN & Mary CASSERLY

there are at least two further baptism with these parents in Ballintubber
Mary CAIN Jul 20 1847
Brigid COYNE Aug 31 1850
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information.  To answer your questions - Sarah Casey married Jeremiah Walsh 23 Nov 1904 in Eyota, Minnesota, USA.  The marriage license gives no information except names.  I am still trying to track down the church records for that parish.  In the newspaper announcement she is referred to as "Miss Sarah Casey."  Family has always said she was a cousin of some kind.  She was Jeremiah's second wife.  His first wife's parents were Michael Casserly/Cassidy and Catherine Casey  (more details below) and I think that is where the connection comes in.  On the census for 1900 and 1910 Sarah gives two different years for immigration 1880 and 1884.  (She also gives ages that lead to birth in 1865, 1866, and in two 1870 in the census records after her marriage.)  I have found no record for her in the U.S. between 1880 and her marriage that I can verify.
Michael Casserly was born about 1820 and I think his parents were Owen and Jane Casserly.  Catherine Casey was born about 1830 and I think her parents were Thomas and Anna Casey.  The parent names are from their death records in Minnesota.  I do not have a marriage date for them but they had seven children in Ireland before emigrating, the last listing Roscommon as birth place.  Children were Timothy 1853, John 1854, Thomas 1857, Jane 1859, Michael 1862, Ann 1863, and Catherine 1865.
I hope this helps.
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Children were Timothy 1853, John 1854, Thomas 1857, Jane 1859, Michael 1862, Ann 1863, and Catherine 1865.

Catherine Casserly born 1864.   MMN Casey   #99
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03592/2324154.pdf

Born in the townland of Learagh (sic).
Probably this one……Laragh and Ross
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/drumatemple/ballintober/laragh-and-ross/

Leamore townland
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/ballynakill/ballintober/leamore/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
In the letter when it started to "my dear sister" was there the name Sarah as well?
Just making sure that the letter was to the person that you think  :)

With the combinations of common names it could be difficult to work out who was who
Some of the Casserly children have baptisms in Ballintober in the 1850s

Could there have been a sister of Michael's living with the WALSH family at the time the letters were sent and they were left with them?

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder