Author Topic: William Bennallack - Tavistock  (Read 649 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bennallack - Tavistock
« on: Tuesday 10 December 19 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify a William Bennallack who was a partner in the firm of Hitchins and Bray of Tavistock, manganese miners and dealers, who operated until 1833 when they reformed as Hitchins and Sons.

I know of a William Bennallack (1878-1937), a miner, who was living in the area at the relevant time. The one adult of that name recorded in the area in 1841 is his son. He is shown as a copper miner and, I suspect, a little young to be the partner in the firm.

Are there any records in the name of William Bennallack, particularly death/ burial, in the West Devon area,  during the period 1830-1840, which might help establish whether there was more than one William Bennallack.(a name subject to a number of variations). Any additional information about the firms would be a bonus.

CORRECTION. The original firm was Bray and Hitchins

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Bennallack - Tavistock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:26 GMT (UK) »
F M P has the burial of a Wiliam Bennallack age 59 who was buried at Brentnor on 22 Oct 1837 - This abode was listed as South Brentnor in the Parish of Lameston.  No occupation is listed

Kay

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay. That is the one I have. He was a miner. Incidentally, there were a number of manganese mines in South Brentor.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any others in the same timeframe.  His age reasonable to be a partner :-\

Kay