Author Topic: John Raymond Doughey  (Read 2743 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Raymond Doughey
« on: Wednesday 11 December 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of his 6th March 1933 birth certificate dated 1939 issued for the purposes of Ministry of Labour and not to be used for any other purpose. The birth was registered showing father Francis Charles and mother Elizabeth Jane formerly Martin in Londonderry Urban No 3. I am having difficulty finding any other information on these three.
Why would this copy have been issued, what was the ‘purpose’? Father’s occupation was Constable RWC, I assume R Royal C Constabulary but what was the W?
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Raymond Doughey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
There are very few NI records on line from 1920 or so on
If you are just searching online this may be the reason you are not finding many

There is just one person named DOUGHEY on the 1911 census of Ireland LINK
and two in 1901

The name could also have variations Dowey, Dowie, etc.

You may have to contact PRONI LINK to access records
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the death certificate for John? if so, are names of parents listed? what about a marriage certificate? again, parents?

"R.W.C." is much more likely to be R.U.C. (Royal Ulster Constabulary) in which case, since officers were usually not posted in the county of their or their spouses' birth, Francis & Elizabeth would probably have been born somewhere other than County Londonderry.

Since you likely couldn't read father's occupation correctly I'm going to suggest you've also deciphered the surname incorrectly as well. There is a possible marriage-
30 Mar.1932 Derry registration district, Elizabeth Martin (groom- Francis Donaghey)
This marriage in in GRONI's database but you need to register & purchase a few credits (5) to view it.

Back to the birth certificate- possibly need for school, immigration, pension or other purpose. What is the exact place of birth?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Surprised to find a Francis Charles Donaghey born 1905 in Derry-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01762/1694038.pdf

? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/Wellington_Street/604328/

The 1932 marriage certificate should list father's name & occupation to see if the above birth is correct one.

David Donaghey, son of Francis & Agnes-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Bonds/1539605/
Marriage of David Donaghey & Winifred McMonagle-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10173/5701094.pdf

Derry Journal, 6 May 1929: DONAGHEY—In ... and loving … Francis Donaghey, husband of Agnes Donagney, 47, Wellington St., Derry, who departed this life May _th, 1928. Sacred Heart of Jesus ...

Londonderry Sentinel, 25 July 1931: … INJURED. A collision occurred yesterday morning at Bond’s Hill, Waterside, Londonderry, resulting in serious injuries to Francis Donaghey (25), of 85, Dungiven-road, who was removed to the Infirmary in an unconscious condition. Donaghey was motor cycling down ...

Derry Journal, 22 Dec.1933: … December her residence, 47, Wellington St., Derry, Agnes, relict of the late Francis Donaghey (shirtcutter) .—R.I.P. Her remains will be removed from above address on Sunday, 24th inst., 2.30 p.m., for interment ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Weekly Irish Times [Dublin}, 10 Nov.1934: Irish Police News... Francis Charles Donaghey, an ex-R.U.C. constable, Omagh Quarter Sessions, was charged with the larceny of two £5 notes, the property of Constable …

Londonderry Sentinel, 25 Oct.1934: Former Derry Policeman Acquitted. At Omagh Crown Sessions yesterday, before Judge Linehan and jury, Francis Charles Donaghey, Londonderry, an ex-constable in the R.U.C., was found not guilty of charge of stealing two £5-notes, the property of Constable John ...

Note: there was at least one other Constable Donaghey in Derry at as earlier date.

Possible death for John 2015- is this him?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Derry City Cemetery (plot M-D-1599)-
Francis Donaghy (parents John & Ann Donaghy), born Scotland, residence- 47 William [Wellington] St., age 71, died 6 May 1928, buried 9 May 1928.
Agnes Donaghey (parents David & Agnes Clinton), born Glasgow, residence- 47 Wellington Street, age 72 years, died 21 Dec.1933, buried 24 Dec.1933.

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Birth certificate attached to help. Any interpretations.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 19:30 GMT (UK) »
The certificate clearly says Donaghey and place of birth/residence is 22 Lower Road.
Looking for 22 Lower Road on Streetview that side of the street looks to be re-developed but houses on opposite side will give an idea of what number 22 looked like.

You still haven't answered my previous questions-
Do you have the death certificate for John? if so, are names of parents listed? what about a marriage certificate? again, parents?
Possible death for John 2015- is this him?

Since certificate was issued for Ministry of Labour then perhaps father needed to prove age of child or parentage in 1939.

You will need to view the 1932 marriage to confirm father's name & occupation and it might list father's home address.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Wellington St. no longer exists-
https://www.derryjournal.com/news/nelson-street-the-street-that-is-gone-but-lives-on-1-8133424

Maybe just a co-incidence- or were the Donagheys living with Elizabeth's family? Again, 1931 marriage certificate might throw light on this
MARTIN—March 24, 1949, at her residence, 22, Lower Road, Londonderry, Mary, beloved wife of the late Samuel A Martin. Funeral to-day (Saturday), 26th inst., at 2.30 p.m., to City Cemetery. Friends will please accept this the only intimation. Deeply regretted.