Author Topic: Why marry in Windsor when live and work in Worcestershire?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why marry in Windsor when live and work in Worcestershire?
« on: Friday 13 December 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know why my 2xGt Grandfather and Grandmother, who were poor Irish (he was a Hawker, she a Dressmaker) who hailed from Stourbridge in Worcestershire might marry in Windsor?

Martin Loftus b Wolverhampton 1844 and Bridget Ware b Shrewsbury 1849, married on 4th July 1868.  As far as I can tell, there were no relatives living there and so I wonder if there might have been an occasion which might have drawn them there?

It seems they stayed in Bier Lane which is now River Street, and by 1871 census they are in Melton Mowbray.  I know they travelled as he was a Hawker (don't know what of) but Windsor would have been a great distance from them.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why marry in Windsor when live and work in Worcestershire?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 December 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
She would only be 19. Maybe her parents would not give consent so they moved to somewhere where they could hide her real age and pretend she was over 21. What does their marriage certificate say?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 December 19 14:17 GMT (UK) »
A pair of mine didn't travel so far to marry but married some distance from their parish.  The vicar was known to give a loaf of bread to all who wed in his Church.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 December 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
A couple of mine went from near Suffolk to  be married on London then back home again,  he married his sister in law and on tbe birth of their first child the incumbent had written it was an illegal marriage, they were obviously well known in a very small village, their parish priest might not have married them locally

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 December 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
This is one of those occasions when you need the local knowledge in the specific time and place. 

According to Genuki it was quick and easy to get to Windsor either by river, the major London road, and railway.   The place doesn't seem to have any specific industries but does have rich well to do people and would have had plenty of markets and fairs throughout the year.

If he was a hawker I'm wondering if there was a successful market fair in Windsor where he and a group of other hawkers planned to travel to. What could be better than successfully selling all your wares and having some pals around to celebrate a wedding - maybe several pals having several weddings.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 December 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Could be because Martin Loftus was a Catholic and Bridget Ware wasn’t?

Martin was baptised at SS Peter &Paul Wolverhampton RC Church 28 July 1844
Son of Patricia and Brigitte Loftus

Alternatively, you might want to check to see if Martin enlisted in the army? Large barracks at Windsor

Ps Rena, I was born and bought up in Windsor
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 December 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Some great suggestions!  Thank you.  Bridget was 21 on the marriage certificate.  Both were Roman Catholics and I have a copy of their Catholic wedding entry.  I will definitely look into Markets and Fairs which is a likely explanation and also Barracks. (I wonder - was there Militia in those days?  Perhaps there was a parade or gathering?  I will look into this.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 December 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Any fairs would have been held the other side of the river (Thames) on the Broccas field at Eton. Modern day fairs are still held there. About a 5 minute walk from River Street
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 December 19 14:06 GMT (UK) »

Ps Rena, I was born and bought up in Windsor

Yes, but not in 1868?   :D

I was in Windsor briefly a few decades ago.  I was taking our youngest son to see his big sister "down south" and hadn't realised I would be passing through Windsor until I came upon the castle (don't ask !)  If I'd had the time I would definitely have spent a while being a sightsee-er.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke