Author Topic: Hawick burial - which churchyard?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick burial - which churchyard?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I... have no idea what I'm looking at here :-[
It looks like an extract from something that has been read by optical character recognition and just quoted unedited.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Viv :) A lot of info there. It mentions at the end of William's writeup that he's buried in St Mary's. Refers to my great(x4)-grandmother too, Margaret who married William Kennedy. And the Boa spelling (for a good while I was looking for Boas instead of Bowies). If I'd had this way back when, I could've saved myself some frustration. All good stuff though :)

Excellent! I hadn’t looked at the entry, and didn’t think it would list a burial place. Excellent result! And glad there is extra info in there for you.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Siverhawk...I just went through my 3 copies of M.I. for...St.Mary's, Wellogate and Wilton and sorry to say there was not one Bowie listed.
 Now that is not to say he was not buried in any of them...just that there is no stone recorded.
  Hope to hear back from you re my private message about 5 of your research names.
      Cheers for now
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger