Author Topic: Hawick burial - which churchyard?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick burial - which churchyard?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 December 19 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick follow up. St Mary’s closed for burials in 1864, apparently, so was nearly full in 1859. So it was still a possibility, but I’d honestly expect Wellogate to be more likely.
Is there any way you could check? The name of the person in question is William Bowie. He died 9th January 1859.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 December 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Out of curiosity I looked at the page on SP with his death. William Bowie was buried in 'Churchyard of Hawick'. The next two people on the same page of the register were buried in 'New Burial Ground of Hawick'. See attached extract. (I'd post the whole page but that would fall foul of the copyright rules.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick follow up. St Mary’s closed for burials in 1864, apparently, so was nearly full in 1859. So it was still a possibility, but I’d honestly expect Wellogate to be more likely.
Is there any way you could check? The name of the person in question is William Bowie. He died 9th January 1859.

Yes, assuming this is your man, here is his grave entry in FindAGrave, using the St Mary's link I gave earlier in the thread.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/205449656/william-bowie

Click on the link to see the details. Does that look like your man? If so definitely St Mary's is it is, and @Forfarian's images suggest so too.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 December 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I never trust Find a Grave entries without a stone especially those made today.

I also suggest you download www.astro.ubc.ca it is a book about Hawick it is huge over 3,000 pages and has a few pages on the Bowie's. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 December 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I never trust Find a Grave entries without a stone especially those made today.

Good point re the date, well spotted.

The St Mary’s inscriptions have been transcribed, and published in the Hawick Archaeological Society Transactions in the years running up to 1940. Sadly I can’t get over to St Andrews at the moment to check the copies of the transactions in the university library there. But they are recorded.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 December 19 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, assuming this is your man, here is his grave entry in FindAGrave, using the St Mary's link I gave earlier in the thread.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/205449656/william-bowie

Click on the link to see the details. Does that look like your man? If so definitely St Mary's is it is, and @Forfarian's images suggest so too.
;D The above was me. I added it acting on Forfarian's response. Can change the place if it's confirmed it was elsewhere. I usually add Findagrave entries if I can find a relative's interment mentioned in the press (BMD announcements, articles, etc) or a church's burial register. I took the the column on the Scotland's People death certificate to be as good as, being a government source.

I also suggest you download www.astro.ubc.ca it is a book about Hawick it is huge over 3,000 pages and has a few pages on the Bowie's. 
Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of British Columbia.... am I missing something? I can't see anything relating to Hawick on that page.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of British Columbia.... am I missing something? I can't see anything relating to Hawick on that page.

Use this link:

http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf

It's a superb resource for people with Hawick connections. Compiled by Hawick man Douglas Scott, Prof of Astronomy.

It won't help answer your specific question, but it may be of interest nevertheless.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Silverhawk
It may help in Wellogate
"(1)   WilLiam   was   hapt.  1st   Ml:ty, 1786,  in   presence  of   Henry  Nichilson and   John:"
".Bowie and  d.  13th  May,  1861, eged   75.    Marr . . (1st)   28th   Deer.,  181""4, by  Dr   Di{)kson. to·"
"Jame,   dang. .of   Peter  Fisher, merchant, G1a.sgow, d.  11th   April, 1844,  >aged  50,  issue-(a)"
"·william,  (b1 Peter Fisher,  (c)  Jessie, d.  2n€! Novr.,  1841, aged   8,   (d)  Daniel,  commerciaL"
"traveller,  built  Hopehill, intending  to  be  II!Illlrried, _but  d.   l.lnmarr.   lQth  Jeny., 1864,  >aged."
"29,   (e)  Thomas,  two  mru:r.  dil.ugs.-(f)   Mrs  Dyer,  (g)  Mrs  McGinly, &nd  4 d.  in  infancy."

No Bowie in St Marys or Wilton with a headstone only the one above.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Use this link:

http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf

It's a superb resource for people with Hawick connections. Compiled by Hawick man Douglas Scott, Prof of Astronomy.

It won't help answer your specific question, but it may be of interest nevertheless.
Thanks, Viv :) A lot of info there. It mentions at the end of William's writeup that he's buried in St Mary's. Refers to my great(x4)-grandmother too, Margaret who married William Kennedy. And the Boa spelling (for a good while I was looking for Boas instead of Bowies). If I'd had this way back when, I could've saved myself some frustration. All good stuff though :)

Silverhawk
It may help in Wellogate
"(1)   WilLiam   was   hapt.  1st   Ml:ty, 1786,  in   presence  of   Henry  Nichilson and   John:"
".Bowie and  d.  13th  May,  1861, eged   75.    Marr . . (1st)   28th   Deer.,  181""4, by  Dr   Di{)kson. to·"
"Jame,   dang. .of   Peter  Fisher, merchant, G1a.sgow, d.  11th   April, 1844,  >aged  50,  issue-(a)"
"·william,  (b1 Peter Fisher,  (c)  Jessie, d.  2n€! Novr.,  1841, aged   8,   (d)  Daniel,  commerciaL"
"traveller,  built  Hopehill, intending  to  be  II!Illlrried, _but  d.   l.lnmarr.   lQth  Jeny., 1864,  >aged."
"29,   (e)  Thomas,  two  mru:r.  dil.ugs.-(f)   Mrs  Dyer,  (g)  Mrs  McGinly, &nd  4 d.  in  infancy."

No Bowie in St Marys or Wilton with a headstone only the one above.
I... have no idea what I'm looking at here :-[