Author Topic: So what makes someone a Gypsy (or Traveller)?  (Read 9898 times)

Offline prairiegypsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: So what makes someone a Gypsy (or Traveller)?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 December 19 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear friends who've responded to my post, "So what makes someone a Gypsy or Traveller?"

I BELIEVE I HAVE MY ANSWER! Thanks to all of you and especially Erato who posted this link:
http://www.gypsyloresociety.org/additional-resources/gypsy-and-traveler-culture-in-america

This website explains there are many, many kinds of Gypsies and Travellers, not just Romany and Irish Travellers as I mistakenly thought. I was thinking much too narrowly. I was trying to lump "my Gypsies" into either the Romany or Irish camps, and they didn't seem to fit in either.

Thanks again to everyone, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  :D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 December 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Upload your raw data to My Heritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch to see if you have different ethnicity results and different matches. I think you need to pay a small sum to open all the features of My Heritage and FTDNA, but it would be worth doing so I think.

Buy some birth certificates to check addresses and occupations of parents.
Make note of the various addresses and occupations of your families on each census.
Try to find a "gypsy surnames" list. I know there are some but I have not been able to find it (though I only did superficial googling).  :)

Good luck.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 December 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
In case you are interested in uploading to My Heritage, it looks like they have a limited free offer on the features they normally charge for:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=822657.0

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 January 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Prairiegypsy, I'm half Romany gypsy and my ancestors were Sharmans, Roberts, Bexell's, Brazil's, Clarks. DNA shows matches also with Smiths and Lee's.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline gaelicmel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I think it is what you feel you are. My grandparents were travellers gypsies and showmen but I have allways lived in houses or static trailers. I have lived in over 100 properties since I was born, I just cannot stay in one place. As far as DNA is concerned I am about 50% English and 50% Celtic on one site but nearly 100% Celtic on another. Mostly Scottish, and Irish, the rest Cornish and Welsh. As far as family trees are concerned mine didnt make much sense at first, but with a lot of detective work it does. My Bryan name isn`t even correct, my fathers was different, Bryant my grandfathers different again, Bryan or maybe o`Brien his father and the correct name being Bryden / McMurtrie travellers from Scotland. They married into the Ellis traveller families from Ireland and Wales, who moved over to Yorkshire. On my mothers side they were Atkinson Oliver Lee Harrison originally from Scotland to Durham to Yorkshire, and Cornwall to South East moving up through Norfolk, Yes Cottingham and Rutland are on their travels. So don`t solely rely on DNA or family trees. What family have told you is far more reliable, but that too isn`t allways gospel. Its how you feel.