Author Topic: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire
« on: Saturday 14 December 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I am researching my McLaren family from Dunkeld Perthshire.
My 4x Gt Grandfather was Alexander McLaren b abt 1812. His trade was a Tailor.  He married Agnes Johnston in Alyth Perthshire at the age of 24yrs. Cannot find a marriage.  Died in New Zealand January 1894.  His father's name was John McLaren, but have no further details on his John whatsoever.
Alexander came to New Zealand in 1860's with  :)his family.  James, William Lovatt, Helen,and Jane were all born Alyth, while John Hunter and Elizabeth Aitchison were born Carnock, Fife, Scotland.
From there I have most of the family.  It is Alexander's father and family I would love to find more about.  Any help would be most appreciative.  Thanks.

Kiwibarb :)
Keating/e - Clonmel - Tipperary,- Liverpool - Bootle
Norton - York
Porter -  Liverpool - Bootle
Evans - Wales - Liverpool
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can you add some dates please to children in order & can you also tell us what census records you have/where/when & what info. is given for the PoB for Alexander b c1812?

How do you know where/when/age for marriage if you don't have a marriage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I have a copy of Alexander's death Certificate and on it it states (at what age married) 24yrs.  He was married in Alyth Perthshire. also according to his death cert.  Alexander according to death cert was born Dunkeld, Perthshire and had been in New Zealand 29yrs.  The family lived in Dunedin, New Zealand, where Alexander and Agnes died.

I have found the family in 1841 Alyth at Mill Street. Agnes, Alexander, James (my 2x Gt Grandfather) and William.  1861 They are living in Comrie Village Parish of Culross.

James b abt 1838, William abt 1840, Helen abt 1842 Jane 1844, John 1848, Elizabeth 1850.

Hope this helps.

Regards 
Kiwibarb
Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Okay, who registered the death (just wondering how knowledgeable of things) & where do the census' of 1851 & 1861 state he was born?

Do you have images of bap. records for children or just indexed/from census'?

Do you have their immigration records/passenger list etc?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
This looks likely the marriage on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

MCLAREN ALEXANDER
JOHNSTON AGNES
19 JUNE 1837
ALYTH ASSOCIATE

Annie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 19 23:42 GMT (UK) »

Can you please list all the information that you see on the death certificate, 1894.

What other documents do you have for BDM events in the lives of this family.....in New Zealand

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 December 19 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Children, some with middle names likely a clue to both the parentage of Alexander & Agnes.

All born Ayth...

James FENTON 2 Apr 1838
William LOVET 18 Aug 1839
Hellen 12 Sep 1841
Jean SMITH 10 Mar 1844

Born Carnock...

John HUNTER 5 Sep 1848
Elizabeth 23 Mar 1850

Annie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 December 19 01:24 GMT (UK) »

The Argus (Melbourne) 28 Aug 1880 p1
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5962505?

CREE—HAMILTON.—On the 21st inst., at the Collins street Baptist Church, Melbourne, by the Rev.
Samuel Chapman, Isaac Johnston Cree, engineer S S. Rotomahana, to Jane Smith HAMILTON, relict of
the late John HAMILTON, plumber, Hotham.

At Northern Cemetery Dunedin - McLAREN burials  with - Jane CREE died 24 May 1911

Otago Witness 31 May 1911
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW19110531.2.164?
CREE—On May 24, at the residence of her brother-in-law. James F. SIMPSON, Rockyside Caversham,, Jane, relict of . Isaac CREE and sister of John H. M'LAREN,  Cumberland street, and Mrs Edward MILLS, Castle street.

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 December 19 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wivenhoe.  That certainly sorts out the Cree name for me.  Had wondered about the name as I know she is buried with some of the family in the Northern Cemetery in Dunedin.  Which I have visited.  James Ferguson Simpson, also from Scotland,  m Helen McLaren 1879 in Dunedin.  Jane Hamilton McLaren, Daughter of James Fenton McLaren, so this will be where the Hamilton name comes in.  Mills is also a family name.  Thanks.

Rosinish yes, possibly Fenton?? He was the eldest son.  Unfortunately I do not have immigration records for them.  Proving very difficult to find. Thank you for the marriage of Agnes and Alexander.  I don't currently have a sub to Scotlands People.  Don't have images of baptisms at all, still work in progress.  Smith is a new name for me. 
1841 Census Alexander living Mills St.Alyth b Alyth.  1851 census has the family as McSaren.  Alexander b Dunkeld, Perthshire living Fife, Carnock Village. Occup. Tailor. 1861 b Dunkeld, Perthshire Address Comrie Village: Occupation    Tailor & Clother. 

I have quite a lot of info on BDM's for the family especially for James Fenton McLaren's children as his daughter Helen (Ellen) is my Gt Grandmother.  Her birth is the only one that I do not have and have tried everywhere I can.  She was born abt 1871 in Dunedin and died in Christchurch 9 Jan 1940.  She had an illegitimate son, my grandfather.  Gordon Alexander McLaren/Dunlop. b 1879.  Father unknown. 
This is the info on the death cert of Alexander McLaren:
Died Jan 29th 1894 Cumberland St. Dunedin.  Alexander McLaren, Tailor  Male 82yrs.  Parents:  John McLaren, mother's name unknown.  Buried 2 February 1894, Northern Cemetery Dunedin.  Where born:  Dunkeld Perthshire Scotland 29yrs.  Where married:  Alyth Perthshire, Scotland 24yrs, Agnes Johnston.  Informant:  W Cole, Undertaker, Dunedin. 
Did find a birth for Alex McLaren 22 Aug 1806 Little Dunkeld Perth Scot.  Parents:  John McLaren, Janet McLiesh.  No McLiesh names appear elsewhere, so not sure this is the correct one.  This was from family search. 

Wow, interesting what you forget when writing all this up.
Thank you once again wivenhoe and Rosinish.

Kiwibarb 
Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland