Author Topic: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 December 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,  Thanks, yes, realised that when I went into the site and found I did have some credits.
Probably just a thought at the time.  I have not used Scotlands people much.
Most genealogy records are expensive to purchase.  As I earn NZ$ it does make the price expensive, regardless.

Thanks for the further information.

Regards
Barbara
Keating/e - Clonmel - Tipperary,- Liverpool - Bootle
Norton - York
Porter -  Liverpool - Bootle
Evans - Wales - Liverpool
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 December 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Most genealogy records are expensive to purchase.  As I earn NZ$ it does make the price expensive, regardless
. It costs £1.50 to look at one image on SP. At today's exchange rate that is NZ$3.03.

I see from the NZ DIA site that the cheapest NZ certs are NZ$25.00 - over eight times as much. That is expensive by comparison.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 December 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe,  I note that I have them in NZ census 1875-76 being in Cumberland St and have their arrival as about 1865. I have heard that James Fenton McLaren and his brother John Hunter McLaren left London 1st December 1863, arriving on the Lady Milton to Bluff 4 April 1864.  Whether this is when other family came out I do not know.  As for a Will I could not find one either.
The information from the death cert is a printout copy from BDM NZ.  The additional info is, Cause of death Senile debility.  Living family 3 males 55yrs, 53yrs, 45 yrs.  3 females 52yrs 50yrs 43yrs. 
Jane's info is new to me, but was aware of the Hamilton and Cree names but had not put it altogether.  On going research.

I an aware that some travelled and stayed in Victoria, Australia but not that they immigrated to Australia prior to coming to NZ.  My Gt Grandmother married in Sydney but came back to NZ.

Thanks.
Barbara
Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 December 19 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople is a very good website and the cost of download is inexpensive........much less than any in Australia or NZ.

You need to create an account...and then you can browse at no cost - only pay to see a document.

The children of Alexander McLAREN and Agnes JOHNSTON have given names that are likely to be family names - a good clue for researching family origins.

Are the names HUNTER, FENTON, LYALL,  AITCHISON, SMITH from the JOHNSTON or McLAREN side of the family?   

You need to research both families...McLAREN and JOHNSTON.

Where do you see Elizabeth Aitchison?

Evening Star 25 Jul 1892 p2
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD18920725.2.14?
Mrs M'LAREN, of Cumberland street, died on Saturday at the age of eighty-five. Her golden wedding was celebrated in 1887. She came to the colony in 1862, and leaves three sons, three daughters, and seventeen grandchildren.

Evening Star 29 Jun 1887 p2
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD18870629.2.9?
....50th wedding anniversary for Alexander and Agnes........

Census Scotland 1871  N Street Newtyle Angus
BEUKANSON Robert      72y    labourer                                  b. Larbert, Stirlingshire
BEUKANSON Charlotte  69y    labourers wife                          b. Newtyle Angus

Census SCOTLAND 1861   Town Of Alyth Cairnleith Place
JOHNSTON Isaac             75y  Lint Woolen & Cotton Weaver       b. Alyth Perthshire
JOHNSTON Charlotte        59y  wife                                           b. Newtyle, Forfarshire
JOHNSTON Margaret        30y   dau.     Lint & Jute Weaver          b. Alyth 
CREE Isaac Johnston        5y    grandson                                   b. Alyth  Perthshire

Census Scotland 1851 Castle Street Newtyle Angus
BUCHANNAN Robert              52y   rail lbr                                   b. Larbert, stirlingshire
BUCHANNAN Charlotte          48y    wife grocer                            b. Newtyle, Forfarshire
BUCHANNAN Jean                  8y    dau                                       b. Newtyle, Forfarshire
McKENZIE    Jean                 13y   scholar niece                         b. Kingoldrum, Forfarshire

Can you expand this please....who?...when?.....
"..I an aware that some travelled and stayed in Victoria, Australia.."

What is her name....when did she marry?
"...My Gt Grandmother married in Sydney but came back to NZ."

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 December 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
"Census SCOTLAND 1861   Town Of Alyth Cairnleith Place
JOHNSTON Isaac             75y  Lint Woolen & Cotton Weaver       b. Alyth Perthshire
JOHNSTON Charlotte        59y  wife                                           b. Newtyle, Forfarshire
JOHNSTON Margaret        30y   dau.     Lint & Jute Weaver          b. Alyth
CREE Isaac Johnston        5y    grandson                                   b. Alyth  Perthshire"

An 1855 cert. is full of info. which is on no other certs.

Looks like he was illegitimate;

JOHNSTON ISAAC 1855
328/ 87 Alyth

Annie

Add...

https://www.ancientfaces.com/person/isaac-johnston-cree-australia/141215554

"Isaac Johnston Cree married Jane Mclaren, and they gave birth to Maggie Johnston Cree. She died in 1887 in Melbourne West, Australia. Died at 7 months old."

Lots of info. here...

http://www.cree.name/genealogies/frametop.htm?page=http://www.cree.name/genealogies/cree-o/p204.htm

"Isaac Johnston Cree was born on 26 December 1855 in Alyth, Perthshire, Scotland. Only his mother's name is recorded. Isaac Johnston Cree was also known as Isaac Johnston. He was the son of James Wighton Cree and Margaret Johnston"
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 December 19 02:48 GMT (UK) »
VIC BDM marriage
4441/1864  MCLAREN Jane   marr.  HAMILTON, John

Possibly?

PROV  Victoria state records  Unassisted  passengers
"Southern Ocean"  arr. Aug 1863
49y   MCLAREN, AGNES
11y   MCLAREN, ELIZTH
17y   MCLAREN, JEAN
15y   MCLAREN, JOHN

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 December 19 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow, such a lot of info has come in today.   Thank you Annie and Wivenhoe.  I can see I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I felt the papers past info that Agnes and family had arrived about 1862 was a little ahead of time as John and James supposedly arrived 1864.  I guess the family could easily have gone to Australia first then to NZ.  After speaking with the grand daughter of Mary Beattie McLaren (d/o James Fenton McLaren) about 5yrs ago is when I found out some of the family were in Australia.  Mary Beattie McLaren Married Henry Barns in Australia and then returned to NZ. My Gt Grandmother Ellen McLaren married William James Dunlop in Sydney 3 Dec 1900.  She returned to NZ possibly not long after without her husband.  It is not known where he went to.
I am unsure on why the 1871 and 1851 census was posted??

Annie, thank you, that is a lot of info to digest.  Will certainly take a further look there.

Regards
Barbara
Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure on why the 1871 and 1851 census was posted??

Allow for spelling variants as always...

Isaac Johnston CREE was the illegitimate son of
James Wighton Cree & Margaret Johnston who seems to be the daughter of
Isaac Johnston & Charlotte Buchanan? who's parents seem to be
Robert Buchanan & Charlotte Deuchars 

The above needs more research (checked out) as things are not quite adding up for me at the moment. The surname Easson crops up which I haven't had time to go into.

Meanwhile;

Deaths
1883 BUCHANAN ROBERT 83 --- 328/A 7 Alyth
1879 BUCHANAN or DEUCHARS CHARLOTTE 77 --- 328/A 6 Alyth (matching ref. for both surnames)

Edit to add...

Marriages;

BUCHANNAN ROBERT & CHARLOTTE DEUCHARS 29/01/1841 --- 282/230 4 Dundee (my discrepancy i.e. may not be correct as yet)?

JOHNSTONE ISAAC & CHARLOTTE EASSON 26/02/1826 --- 328/60 176 Alyth

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 December 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Annie thank you for the explanation.  Can now see where it fits.  The info has come at such a pace I have not had time to research it further.  Maybe the Christmas holidays will give me a little more time.

Again thank you and appreciate the help you have given me.

Regards
Barbara
Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland