Author Topic: The disappearing Thomas Rees 1803 of Carnawllon  (Read 547 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The disappearing Thomas Rees 1803 of Carnawllon
« on: Sunday 15 December 19 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Would be very grateful again for any assistance. Looking for Thomas Rees born about 1803 Glyn Hamlet, Llanelly in 1841, 1851 and possibly 1871.

He first makes an appearance with a baptism on 19 Apr 1803 in Glyn Hamlet with parents mentioned as William and Anne (nee Treharne). His father was William Rees of Carnawllon farm. His next appearance is at his belated marriage on 14 Nov 1859 “ Thomas Rees (Batchelor, Collier age 55 of Caernawllon) married Mary Thomas (Spinster age 30 of Forest Fawr at Llanelly parish church. Fathers William Rees (Farmer) and William Thomas (Tailor)”. Thomas and Mary then appear in the 1861 census at Carnawllon Cottage, Gyn Hamlet, with his wife Mary RG9/4117 page 8 (this maybe Carnawllon Lodge where his father was in 1851 and presumably dies at in 1858).

I can’t find Thomas in 1841 or 1851, certainly doesn’t seem to be at any of the properties called Carnawllon. I can’t find him in 1871 but he may have died and can’t find his wife either, but she may have remarried.

Hoping you can help

Roy

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The disappearing Thomas Rees 1803 of Carnawllon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
There's a death in Sep 1866 Carmarthen for a Thomas Rees age 63
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
There's a death in Sep 1866 Carmarthen for a Thomas Rees age 63

Thanks, that would fit very nicely. Based on this I have found a possible remarriage of his wife "Mary Rees (35, Widow of Caders?) married David Davies (60, Widower, Labourer of Tynywain near Pont Henry) on 25Nov1867 at Llanelly Parish Church.  Fathers William Thomas (labourer) and John Davies (Farmer)"

Although this marriage entry states Mary's father as a labourer (as opposed to Tailor in her marriage entry to Thomas). Labourer fits in with the census entry for Mary and father in 1841 and her and mother and sibling Daniel in 1851. in 1841 and 1851 the family lived in Forestfawr, which ties up with her address in her marriage entry to Thomas. There was a John Bowen, a Tailor living next to the family in 1841, so he may have also had tailoring skills. (That's my theory anyway!)

Just have Thomas in 1841 and 1851 to find! :-)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I suspected she may have remarried fairly swiftly! 

Finding the right Thomas in earlier census is not going to be easy  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos