Author Topic: Dodgson John and John  (Read 2129 times)

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dodgson John and John
« on: Sunday 15 December 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting confused with other people's family trees on Ancestry and would really like some help please.

Please bare with me as this does cross borders (possibly) but should all end up here which is why I'm hoping for some help.

So my relative is Moses Dodgson born abt 1803 at Broughton died abt 1883 in Bootle.

So I'm trying to find out who his father is. And there are a few ancestry trees that have it as being John Dodgson born abt 1764 in Knaresborough, Yorkshire and died abt 1822 Ulverston.

Then his father (grandfather of Moses)
As being John Dodgson born about 1742 in Heysham and died abt 1767 in Bramhope, Yorkshire.

The 2 Johns here look like the most likely father and grandfather in my mind (I've been at this all day) however I can't find anything to either back this up or to dismiss it apart from a couple of family trees on Ancestry (with no source info apart from it being on another family tree).

I hope I've got this in the correct board and that someone would be able to help me.

I've searched the posts and can't find it for these specific people.

Thank you in advance

Pam
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Brakewell/Breakwell - Lancashire
Sandall-  Flintshire and Lincolnshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgson John and John
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 December 19 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Firstly,ignore Ancestry trees unless sources are shown,even then do your own research.
Secondly, Broughton name is used in four villages in Cumberland so you will need to narrow the pob.Genuki shows Little and Great Broughton In the parish of Bridekirk.Some PR.s are here. Archersofrware.co.uk/igi/

Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 December 19 04:35 GMT (UK) »

You are researching the origins of this man?.......

"..my relative is Moses Dodgson born abt 1803 at Broughton died abt 1883 in Bootle."

Is he your direct ancestor...ie...if Moses had died when he was six months old, you would not be here?

Do your own research.  What do you have for a marriage for Moses...when / where / who?

And you know where he died........... but you do not know when. How does that happen?

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 December 19 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I’m presuming your ancestor is the Moses Dodgson shown on the census as born Broughton in Furness Lancashire a Miller living in  Millom Cumberland. He had many children, which child is your ancestor? Do you have certificates or sight of baptisms marriages and burials in parish records to show your relationship to Moses?

A baptism for Moses is listed on Ancestry but strangely I cannot find it on Lancashire OPC which has good coverage for the church at Broughton in Furness.

As others have said ignore other peoples’ trees and find the evidence yourself it is much more satisfying.

Incidently Bootle Cumberland was the registration district for Millom Cumberland until 1939

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 December 19 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, for some reason I didn't get an email from rootschat to say that I'd had replies so please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

Moses Dodgson is my 3 x great grandfather.

I didn't know there was more 1 Broughton up there, so I apologise for that too.

I've found a Baptism record on Ancestry for 10th Feb 1803 (also says birth was on the same day?) at Broughton in Furness.

This record (I can only see a transcript) says the father is John Dodgson and the mother is Ann.

I've also found that Moses Dodgson married Anne Steel on 3rd May 1828 Thwaite.

This record just shows a FHL Film number 90668 but I'll be honest I don't know what that is or how to view it so I haven't got the details to order a birth or marriage certificate for Moses.

Thank you all again
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 December 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Firstly,ignore Ancestry trees unless sources are shown,even then do your own research.

Secondly, Broughton name is used in four villages in Cumberland so you will need to narrow the pob.

Moses was baptised at Broughton in Furness with parents John & Ann on 10th February 1803.

He had possible siblings baptised at Broughton in Furness
John bapt 7 Jan 1801  -Abode Kepplewray
George - bapt 14 Jun 1805

There are 2 burials in B i F for a John Dodgson
31 Dec 1811 age 43 (occ Shoemaker) - possibly the son of Benjamin who was bapt BiF 10 Jul 1768
19 Feb 1837 age 67

What do you have for a marriage for Moses...when / where / who?

And you know where he died........... but you do not know when. How does that happen?

Moses married Anne Steel 3 May 1828 at St Annes, Thwaites

He was buried St Annes, Thwaites 15 March 1883

There is a burial in Broughton in Furness 26 April 1844 for an Ann Dodgson age 81, could she be your Ann.  Possibly the Ann who is living with a George Dodgson bn c1805 and his wife in 1841 Ulverston age 78
HO107/531/bk2 f16 p24

Sorry for any duplication but I wrote this before walking the dog and forgot to post it  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 December 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at some of the likely marriage records for John and Ann and the one below would be worth considering. I do not think the John in Heysham is correct if Moses 1803 is your ancestor.

Ann SMITH to John DODGSON   Marriage   27 Jun 1792 Cumberland Wigton: St Mary   Witnesses John Bouch & William Dodgson

The notes add “John DODGSON - Approximate date of birth based on the date (27 Jun 1792), and the age (34y), is 27 Jun 1758 +/- 1 year; Ann SMITH - Approximate date of birth based on the date (27 Jun 1792), and the age (26y), is 27 Jun 1766 +/- 1 year”

BROUGHTON IN FURNESS, LANCASHIRE,

John & Ann – children

John 1801, Moses 1803, George 1805.

However I cannot find any birth records 1792 to 1800 in Cumberland or Lancashire?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 December 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I will add all of this to my tree notes later on.

You've been a great help.

Thank you and Merry Christmas  ::)
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Marriage: 22 Feb 1795 St Mary Magdalene, Broughton in Furness, Lancashire, England
John Dodgson - Bachelor, this Parish
Betty Hodgson - Spinster, this Parish

From his marriage licence held at Lancashire Archives he was a shoemaker

Marriage: 9 Feb 1800 St Cuthbert, Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire, England
John Dodgson -
Ann Newby -

This was also by licence but the licence diesn’t appear to have survived at Lancashire Archives.

Kirkby Ireleth is just down the road from Broughton in Furness

I think this one is more likely than the Wigton one as that is much further north. Also this one ties in with the birth of the first child of John and Ann.

I keep an old road atlas handy when researching, it’s a great help for finding nearby places and excluding other places that are probably too far away. I also find it handy to have access to old maps showing the old county areas handy. Much of the area you are looking at for your ancestors was in Lancashire until relatively