Author Topic: Dodgson John and John  (Read 2122 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgson John and John
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 December 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with the marriage at KIRKBY IRELETH, LANCASHIRE, it seems far more likely, plus there was more than one eligible John Dodgson born there.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 December 19 18:29 GMT (UK) »
So my relative is Moses Dodgson born abt 1803 at Broughton died abt 1883 in Bootle.

So I'm trying to find out who his father is. And there are a few ancestry trees that have it as being John Dodgson born abt 1764 in Knaresborough, Yorkshire and died abt 1822 Ulverston.

Then his father (grandfather of Moses)
As being John Dodgson born about 1742 in Heysham and died abt 1767 in Bramhope, Yorkshire.

The 2 Johns here look like the most likely father and grandfather in my mind (I've been at this all day) however I can't find anything to either back this up or to dismiss it apart from a couple of family trees on Ancestry (with no source info apart from it being on another family tree).

Pam

Hi Pam,

I can help you rule out John Dodgson b. 1742 in Heysham as the grandfather of Moses. (John is my OH's 5x G Grandfather).

John Dodgson b. 1742 Heysham, d. 1820 Heysham. He married Ellen/Eleanor Mashiter and they had 9 children including a John Dodgson b 1778 Heysham (OH's 4 x G Grandfather).

John Dodgson b. 1778 Heysham, d. 1828 Heysham. He married Anne (Nancy) Gibson and they also had 9 children - none of them were called Moses.

The name Moses Dodgson has never cropped up in my research of the Heysham Dodgsons.

Hope this helps rule him out  :)

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline PamSquam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh fantastic this is all great, thank you so much.

I'm hoping to get up there in the new year to see the places reffered to in this section of my tree. It's such a big section of my family history too. And I'm looking forward to showing my grandfather (92) what I've got so far later this week.
Sheldon - Denbighshire
Brakewell/Breakwell - Lancashire
Sandall-  Flintshire and Lincolnshire
Edwards - Flintshire
Roberts - Flintshire
Jones - Flintshire

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 05:25 GMT (UK) »

"..So my relative is Moses Dodgson born abt 1803 at Broughton died abt 1883 in Bootle."

Moses is your ancestor. You are descended from a son / daughter of Moses.

Can you name the son / daughter....what name....where and when born....name of mother......

Who / when / where was your ancestor (son / daughter of Moses) married?